Hat or Veil?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pansypots

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, following lots of opinions and comments on my question about the Ladies Sentinel bee suit, I’ve decided to go ahead and order one. My next question is now, with a hat or veil? I’m used to just using a veil but as I’ve got the choice for this suit I just wondered what people’s preferences are. Bearing in mind I’m buying the suit because of my adverse reaction to stings recently the hat style would seem to keep things more away from my face but I’d like opinions on the pros/ cons of hats and veils 😊

I have a sentinel fencing veil type suit and have had no problem with it contacting my face so far. I ensure it is sitting properly before I start with all zips secured, having had bees inside on one occasion. ( not with the sentinel though)

I prefer the fencing veil. I find the hat style restricts my head movement.

As both posts above. My fencing veil has a velcro tab in front which when pulled down avoids all contact between veil and face. I've never been stung in the face when wearing it. Any hat brim I wear has a will of its own. Yesterday I was painting a wall with a baseball cap on Leaning down to look at something , the peak went in the paint pot. Out of sight out of control.

Ian the owner at OCFH always seems to recommend the fencing veil type.

I have both ... I ordered the fencing hood initially - decided I could do with a second jacket at the price they were and the second one came with the hat veil. I actually like the veil slightly more than the fencing type - it has a really neat reinforcing ring that keeps the veil off your face and there is an elastic that goes under your chin and keeps it in place on your head.

But ... like everything in beekeeping - it's all about what suits you best.

For day to day work on hives the hat works great for me....
However, doing cutouts, removals and having to look up - I wish I had the fencing type....

We both have the hats with a veil, works great

Thank you everyone, on balance I’ve gone with the fencing veil. 😊

Latest posts

Back