Has spring sprung yet?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookiesbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have just returned from walking the pooch at a local beauty spot - Cockington Court for the Devonians out there. Passed beneath some bushes and the sound of the local apiary bees was lovely. Buzzing away busily as they collected the goodies from something (?) covered in white blossom. Came home to find my own girls out in force, pollen baskets full of yellow produce, enjoying the sunshine and ignoring the cold breeze in shadier corners. Roll on the season!bee-smillie

Not here in the East mids, hard frost this morning, back to scraping the ice off the car windows.

Patience...

PH

Here in the East midlands, hard frost this morning, ice on water. But by 10:00h some were out and by 11:00h, they were really out in force. Very warm in the sunny areas (sheltered from the breeze - that's my garden) with a warm afternoon in prospect.

RAB

Hard frost here in Mid Wales this morning too but now (at 2pm) a very comfortable 17c (shame I'm stuck at work - would much rather be sitting watching my bees bringing the pollen in).

Hard frost in Sunny South today, but warmer wetter forecast - Slowly getting there.

Spring dose not start until March 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm bee-smillie

Just visited out branch apiary to drop off some surplus empty hives and got roped into moving paving slabs and concrete blocks but while this was going on the bees were very busy in all colonies. Very sunny but air temp probably only about 10C but there was lots of pollen being brought in.

No losses this year out of 9 colonies made up of Nationals, Commercials, a couple of Langstroths and a WBC.

Frost here today, just down the way from you H, Pete. Ice on the van at 9o'clock, girls in bed until 9:30 then they felt the Sun, and were away.:)

We had 14 deg. at 12 o'clock and it rose steadily to 17-18 deg. in the garden by 3...still cold in th shade though, the girls have been flying well and coming home loaded.

Could only make 8C here with a cold light breeze. Still there were a few hardy foragers with bulging stockings.

Ian

-4.1° overnight (approx 7am) rose to a high of 12.7° today at 14:00 and now dropping again.

Not had chance to check my apiary today but sure some would have been flying in the sun.

Back