Harvesting capped Queen cells prior to moving to an incubator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seán_Lad

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all, I'm new to queen raring, I have a have that has managed to draw out 8 Q cells on a single frame, I was hoping to harvest once capped and move into an incubator, eggs where from a artificially mated pure AAM Queen who seems to have an excellent temperament trait and lays very well. The question is how much time do I have between delicately removing the cells from the frame and moving to an incubator, and what is the recommended temperature and humidity, I've seen very varying opinions so far regarding temp ans humidity. Any other advice is appreciated 👏

Attachments

• 20240628_154649.jpg
    20240628_154649.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Might be challenging to put these in an incubator. I would rather make some mating nucs and put Qcs in each when they are a couple of days away from emerging.
I only use my incubator for grafted cells as they are in nicot cups and rollers and can be kept vertically without issues. Temp is 35c max and I can't measure humidity in mine but it must be high

Hi all, I'm new to queen raring, I have a have that has managed to draw out 8 Q cells on a single frame, I was hoping to harvest once capped and move into an incubator, eggs where from a artificially mated pure AAM Queen who seems to have an excellent temperament trait and lays very well. The question is how much time do I have between delicately removing the cells from the frame and moving to an incubator, and what is the recommended temperature and humidity, I've seen very varying opinions so far regarding temp ans humidity. Any other advice is appreciated 👏
Get yourself a scalpel or a very sharp pen knife, it's a delicate operation and you need to allow plenty of room around each cell. I generally have an egg box with me when harvesting cells and once done they are popped into the vehicle where it is warm before I close up the hive. Some people use mobile incubators in their vehicles to transport them from the apiary but I've never found it necessary, just don't hang about too long.
Temperature at 35 degrees and humidity around 60 but I have to admit, after some experimenting, I've had no issues with ambient humidity but a piece of damp sponge in your incubator should do the job nicely.
I carefully tidy up the cells, removing excess wax so that they fit nicely into the Nicot caps for the roller cages.
The difficulty you will find there is they have clustered the cells so probably best to forfeit some in favour of the best looking cells.
When encouraging cell building, I like to use a couple of frames with eggs and young larvae, this way the cells are more spread out and you are able to use the frames directly into mating nucs, while still having the option to harvest a few as well.

Latest posts

Back