Half frame therory

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daneliger

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have a few health issues imcludimg.random weakness and trouble with hips and back and dizziness when. Bending. A few bee keeps recommendations long Lang hive and while looking up plans I saw plans for half frames. I don't really fully understand how it works but would it work to make a half frame long Lang to reduce gow heavy they are? Gods I hope this is not the dumbest question

It may help to tells us where you are located. In the UK, in hobby beekeeping, the majority of people use National hives which have smaller super boxes / frames.

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you could run a specially made long hive that uses super frames only, to reduce weight? My concern, if this is correct would be the colony running out of space quickly, which could lead to an increase in swarming.

Could you work with a beekeeping buddy. Someone who helps you with the heavy lifting but allows you to make the decisions?

Im sure someone will tell me why I am wrong with this post, but half of learning is considering options and asking.

You have a frame choice, deep, medium, shallow so maybe consider smaller frames? However, you will lose what you've gained so to speak, as your long hive will need to be longer to give the same space.
Long hives spare your back from lifting boxes but due to the frame arrangement, you will be twisting your back instead when you inspect frames. Something else to consider.

I have a few health issues imcludimg.random weakness and trouble with hips and back and dizziness when. Bending. A few bee keeps recommendations long Lang hive and while looking up plans I saw plans for half frames. I don't really fully understand how it works but would it work to make a half frame long Lang to reduce gow heavy they are? Gods I hope this is not the dumbest question
Look up Dartington Long Hive ... whilst this is a UK designed hive if you have someone handy you could make one to suit Langstroth formats which you have in the USA. The following video will give you an idea of what the hive is like.

Look up Dartington Long Hive ... whilst this is a UK designed hive if you have someone handy you could make one to suit Langstroth formats which you have in the USA. The following video will give you an idea of what the hive is like.

Thank you why are the so different in the UK verses here in usa

Frame size, countries have different hive measurements.

I am an experimenter by nature, I would try a hive with the half frame depth if that was all I could lift and I was determined to try beekeeping as a hobby, or, I would certainly try a top bar hive as a cheap alternative to learn on.

There are not vast differences in the actual beekeeping... you use principally Langstroth format hives and frames whereas the UK mainly use hives and frames that are British standard national size (nowwhere else in the world use this format). Keeping honey bees is largely the same wherever you are in the world but local climate, the prevalence of disease and parasites and predators and how you deal with these factors does create differences. There is nowhere in the UK that enjoys the climate you have in California and the forage that your bees will enjoy where you are is very different to what we experience over here. Even in California there will be localised differences in climate and forage. What sort of an area do you live in ?

We do have members from the USA and there is much that you can learn from what is posted on this forum - but you might find the occasional difference in terminology. Stick around and let us know how you get on with your beekeeping journey.

I ran topbar hives - frames were in area terms smaller than a half langstroth deep/ or perhaps langstroth supers would be ideal.?
The topbar hives were fine but tended to run out of room so a 4 foot wide is the minimum I would consider.
Framed hives are much easier to inspect than unframed..

Instead of half frame size check out Mike Palmer who is well recognised in his use of half sized boxes for 'sustainable beekeeping'.
Even deep frames used as supers when full of honey become manageable.
The advantage over half depth frames is that the brood nest has less gaps for the queen to cross.
Two nuclei 3 half boxes deep winter much better in the vertical format and keep each other warm.
Half length frames can also be used in subdivided half boxes to allow 4 mating nucs on one stand.

Latest posts

Back