Grumble grumble!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Just been informed by a local farmer who has, up until now, hosted one of my out apiaries that I've got to vacate by the end of May as he's sold the bulk of the land to an 'investor' and is keeping the farmhouse and 2 acres for himself!

Bah humbug grumble!! Now I've got to relocate 8 hives.

Apparently the aforementioned city-type investor bloke isn't interested in people he doesn't know having access to the land!

Piffle.

:rant:

Hummmmm Sorry to hear about that - bit of a bummer. Can't believe the owner could not have given you a bit more notice?

Must admit, I have always been cute (one and only time I hear Mrs B's dulcet tones) in getting a written "agreement" in these circumstances (ie where I have no formal rights ) in order to give me some protection from undue stress.

It is tricky to find any apiary let alone one to tale 10 (ish) colonies so a decent eviction notice is always a good inclusion for your agreement . Never had a problem getting it all signed up either.

Good luck in finding a new home

Regards

FB

ps -Suppose there is no chance of you doing a bit of negotiating with new owner yourself? Grovel/lick/bribe/free honey etc - At least he will know you then?

Last edited:
If said investor is remote, he'll likely either employ a farm manager, or contract it out to another farmer nearby. Vacate politely now, but track down said farmer/manager and discuss the benefits of having bees on site again.

Generally landowners worry about people claiming rights/tenancy/ownership particularly when there's no formal contract in place.

I hope there are no rights of way across HIS land... or there will be trouble!

I belong to a "rights of way" pressure group ( Trail Riders Fellowship) and here in SW it it always when a new "business consortium" city landowner take over... usually for the shooting, that there is trouble! city maniacs with shotguns shooting at anything that moves... walkers, cyclists, motorcyclists, and most of the wildlife if it has not vacated 5 miles down the road at the first salvo!!

Really sorry bit short notice too.
Can’t remember who but someone on the forum mentioned an email group 'Freecycle' as a source of out-apiaries and I tried it. Although I must admit we have more than our share of 'greenies' close to me I was inundated with offers and found several cracking sites.....may be worth a try?
Hope it works out
S

[
Can’t remember who but someone on the forum mentioned an email group 'Freecycle' as a source of out-apiaries and I tried it. Although I must admit we have more than our share of 'greenies' close to me I was inundated with offers and found several cracking sites.....may be worth a try?

I tried my local freecycle . My message was rejected as it didn't contribute to keeping stuff out of landfill. :(

Hope it works out
S

Thats how we got our first apiary after we were told we couldn't keep them on the allotment. I started to panic as to where to put them, but my wife suggested freecycle and have never looked back.

From that first site we have expanded to three more and this weekend we have been asked to look at two more bits of farm land. All through our first contact.

I tried my local freecycle . My message was rejected as it didn't contribute to keeping stuff out of landfill. :(

Sounds like you've got some of the more jobsworth moderators on your FreeCycle site! :banghead:

Some FreeCycle areas have a "cafe" forum - that might be worth a try.

Or try Freegle - they're an alternative to FreeCycle.

I found my first site through landshare.

Sounds like you've got some of the more jobsworth moderators on your FreeCycle site! :banghead:

Some FreeCycle areas have a "cafe" forum - that might be worth a try.

Or try Freegle - they're an alternative to FreeCycle.

as the original post was from south cheshire, Caffi55 (community supporting freegle) covers that area: try emailing the moderator on [email protected] or visit: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Caffi55/

good luck (R)

Most recycle groups won't allow a request for an out apiary on the main site (because it saves nothing from landfill) but many areas have a cafe site where general chit chat and advice is allowed. Sometimes one cafe group serves several main recycle groups. The cafe groups are your best bet.
Tricia

When you are on another persons land by permission then you are also liable by denial due to quit.

That is the deal.

Always have a Plan B in the hipper.

PH

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Similar situation myself, was looking for a plan B already when Plan A went up in smoke and I'm camoflaging my hives as Pallet Compost bins on the allotment at the moment!

Freecycle cafe seems to be a good bet, I've had 3 leads in 3 days, one nice but too close to habitation for anything frisky, one sounds good ( 2 acre Orchard) but the guy needs SWMBO to agree and the third was in the middle of an 800 acre dairy farm growing intensive grass in huge fields! Couldnt see a flower in any direction :-(

Still.....not bad in such a short time...

Just been informed by a local farmer who has, up until now, hosted one of my out apiaries that I've got to vacate by the end of May as he's sold the bulk of the land to an 'investor' and is keeping the farmhouse and 2 acres for himself!

Bah humbug grumble!! Now I've got to relocate 8 hives.

Apparently the aforementioned city-type investor bloke isn't interested in people he doesn't know having access to the land!

Piffle.

:rant:

Then try and speak to him to get to know him.

Hope it works out
S

Do you mean Landshare, Stiffy?

Any records you have kept of rent paid , even in kind, constitutes an agricultural tenancy

Agricultural tenancy disputes are a minefield. I speak from personal experience. I would explore every other avenue before taking that sort of action

Back