Growing colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv101

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
nine 14x12
We hived a swarm (with mated queen) on Saturday 16th June. We're using a 14x12 hive and only give them fresh foundation. On 28th June, 12 days later, there were eggs on three frames, plenty of larvae and just a few cells of capped brood. Checking again today 12th July, 26 days later, the first half frame of brood has emerged and there are new eggs in the cells. There are a total of five frames of brood - all with some capped stores.

We've been feeding 1:1 syrup the whole time thinking that it would help drawing comb on the foundation and the weather hasn't been great.

Now that the colony is growing, I'm hoping it will fill the remaining frames within the next couple of weeks.

Couple of questions, are we likely to be able to get honey this year? If so, when should I remove the feeder and add frames to the super? Should I be waiting for a certain number of frames of brood?

Last edited:
Now that the colony is growing, I'm hoping it will fill the remaining frames within the next couple of weeks.

If they have taken this long to pull out 5 frames, they need more than 2 weeks for the rest - it takes a great deal of energy to pull out that many frames, and our weather isn't playing fair this year.

Couple of questions, are we likely to be able to get honey this year?

That is what many beekeepers are wondering and no-one can give you an answer...weather, weather, rain, temperature, forage, colony size...no one can predict who will and won't get honey.

If so, when should I remove the feeder and add frames to the super? Should I be waiting for a certain number of frames of brood?[/QUOTE]

Add the super when there are 1-2 spare frames in the brood box, and take off the feeder when they have enough stores. They don't need feeding all the time, if they have stores on most pulled out frames give it a break.

Latest posts

Back