Ground Elder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriszog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
Has anyone any new ideas of how to get rid of this beast in a very old established shrub border?

It's a nightmare, I wouldn't buy a house with ground elder or horse tail, I have fought with both. The only way is black plastic on the ground round the shrubs for a couple of years, put mulch on top to make it look pretty, remove the plastic after two years and weed killer each little blighter that raises its head the moment you see it!
E

Some people eat the young leaves in salads, they have a nutty flavour I am told --or perhaps it was the people who were nutty?

Has anyone any new ideas of how to get rid of this beast in a very old established shrub border?

ONLY way

Hard work..... dig up all your shrubs and put in plastic pots... remove any sign of this horrid weed from around roots etc
Dig over border and remove as much elder as humanly possible... plant up border with the plants in pots.
Following season... or as the wee nasties emerge... dig them out!

Works for bind weed too!

Nos da

Goats eat anything.. but do not feed them Laurel or dried giggle weed ( Rag wort)

What about Yew clippings?

Some people eat the young leaves in salads, they have a nutty flavour I am told --or perhaps it was the people who were nutty?

Blame the romans! they allegedly imported the stuff to the UK. best use is just like spinage but avoid the old leaves.

Will goats eat it ?

Goats prefer things they shouldn't eat, ornamental roses, raspberry canes, garden flowers, the bark all the way your favourite apple trees, shopping left untended in bags on the doorstep, washing from the line or from the basket.
I've vivid memories of dashing across various obstructions screaming abuse at our nanny steadfastly munched into the blossom of our raspberry rows having broken her tether in the field.
During my dash she accelerated her rate of intake and moved deeper into the delicious blossom.
She had real character that goat but we had to move with my job and lived in city/urban situations until moving into our present rural home. I suppose I took up beekeeping instead of getting another goat to avoid the battle of wits, hoofcare, milking etc. Actually finding a stand in milker for holiday cover used to be a nightmare :)

Blame the romans! they allegedly imported the stuff to the UK. best use is just like spinage but avoid the old leaves.

Bloody Romans brought us nettles too.... makes a good green manure...

Tractor man... Yew is not good for goats... kills em dead!

Yeghes da

Yew is not good for goats... kills em dead!

I knew that. Well, at least you know the difference between yew and ewe. I knew you knew yew (not ewe) needed adding to your previous listing.:)

I use roundup. Put latex gloves on and use a rag to wipe neat roundup onto a selection of leaves . Works a treat:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody Romans brought us nettles too.... makes a good green manure...

Tractor man... Yew is not good for goats... kills em dead!

Yeghes da

Nettles are one of the best soil conditioners going, make good tea and soup plus play host to lots of bugs.

I use roundup. Put latex gloves on and use a rag to wipe neat roundup onto a selection of leaves . Works a treat:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes glossphosphate works a treat, but what will we do when the eu ban it.

Latest posts

Back