grey Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Any one got a pollen book handy, i've lent mine out

lots and lots of battleship grey pollen coming in, they have filled aquarter of a 14x12 frame

? what is it

There are a couple of species of shrub which have become quite popular recently, with deep green leaves and blue flowers. You get types with a light blue and a type with a dark blue flowers.

Hi MM
Are you sure it's not poppy from someone's garden? I have the ornamental type in my garden in full flower and the bees are stuffing it into the hives like mad. It's the right colour and doesn't take many flowers to make a noticeable amount of pollen.
Cazza

Hi,

I have a large area of self set ground which is wall to wall purple self set poppys, every morning it is alive with bees! 5-6 bees in each flower!

Also about a mile away we have 3 large red poppy fields,:)

I have noticed lage amounts of grey and black pollen in my hives, and it ties in with when the poppys came in to flower,

I would say yes to poppys!

MM, Blackberry is a sort of kaki grey, Raspberry similar but a tone or two lighter

just got my new Kirk ID cards and they are fab.....I'm off to spend more time in front of the hives!

AMAE

huum I'd say mustard, but point taken ( and we are beeks so beg to differ by default!).

Ok I'll give them a go and let you know...who 's ID do you use?

if its like this then its bramble (blackberry)

eipc87.jpg

good thread.....had a look at mine today and i had a lot of this grey pollen which was a surprise i was a bit worried it was mouldy pollen!:ack2:

WOW, gorgeous Pic...and the pollen matches my chart!

AMAE

Cracking picture,well done Keith.
My bees have been on a go slow the last 2 weeks waiting for the Blackberry to bloom.

Latest posts

Back