Greetings from rhe Fens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all

I have kept bees for the last 10 years, and currently have 6 colonies. I developed a bee venom allergy about 6 years ago but completed a 3 year immunotherapy course at Addenbrookes (Cambridge) Hospital. I still have to be careful about being stung, one or two stings are fine but any more may not be.

My apiary is in a paddock behind my house, which also includes a mixed orchard (apples, pears, cherries, plums and gages, apricots and peach trees), our free range hens, and a wildflower area. We are in the fens of north east Cambridgeshire, on the border with Lincolnshire, surrounded by fields of wheat, barley, and when we are lucky field beans and osr. There are also trees and hedgerows with brambles. My spring honey is white and soft set. Summer honey is runny and golden.

For the first time this year I think I have avoided any swarms by early nuc splits. I have also succeeded in getting about 25 sections mostly fully filled, again a first.

Latest posts

Back