Grazon, Is it safe for bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee L

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All, Someone very close to our bees is planning on spraying Grazon weed killer. They want to spray on the other side of our fence. Has anyone used this close to bees and if so did it have an affect at all?

Many thanks

Lee

Hi All, Someone very close to our bees is planning on spraying Grazon weed killer. They want to spray on the other side of our fence. Has anyone used this close to bees and if so did it have an affect at all?

Many thanks

Lee
If anyone is going to spray anything inform them you have bees so they will have to spray early. Lock your bees up the night before and knock on his door early reminding him you can't keep them locked up for long because of the heat. When he has sprayed wait until its dry then your good to release them but wait until its dry. Even if it is so called safe you want to minimise your bees intake of it

I do spot spray Grazon on my paddocks, with a hand held sprayer, but as sparingly as possible and as late as l can, after the bees have gone to bed. I have never noticed any effect on the bees, but then l have never sprayed as close as 'the other side of the fence'

Last edited:
I would not like to shut any bees in during the day while it is this hot even with ventilation screens, I would be too worried about them cooking.

Many thanks

Lee
I use Grazon to kill weeds/unwanted plants in my paddocks which abut the apiary fence. Never had a problem.

If anyone is going to spray anything inform them you have bees so they will have to spray early. Lock your bees up the night before and knock on his door early reminding him you can't keep them locked up for long because of the heat. When he has sprayed wait until its dry then your good to release them but wait until its dry. Even if it is so called safe you want to minimise your bees intake of it
With the current night time temperatures in the Southern half of the UK even shutting bees up overnight is not a good idea ... you could wake up to a colony dead on the floor - it doess not take much to overheat a colony when they can't control their hive temperature by fanning.

At midnight last night I could hear the fanning of my colonies from fifteen feet away ... when I went and looked there were hundreds of bees outside my production hives on the landing boards and front of the hives .,.. the smell of ripening honey was incredible and when you got near to the entrance you could actually feel the warm air being pushed out ... surprising how much power a lot of small insects with wings can generate !

Latest posts

Back