Gooseberries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone got a good recipe that's not jam, pie, crumble or sauce?
Cazza

The big red dessert ones ? Just eat them - lovely with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Too good to mess about with them.

If they are the little green ones stew them with a bit of sugar and use them as flavouring in home made yoghurt if you find them too tart to eat on their own. Yummy yoghurt (once a year treat as I haven't got enough gooseberry bushes yet !). Will have five more by next year though as yearlings have really come on this year.

GOOSEBERRY WINE

2kg Gooseberries
1.3kg Sugar
4 litres water
Half teaspoon pectolase. You do need this as gooseberries have a lot of pectin,making the wine cloudy.
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 packet champagne yeast

Wash and top your gooseberries then freeze them overnight – this will help split them to release more flavour. Place into a fermenting bin and crush using a sterilized potato masher. Pour over half of the water and boil the rest with the sugar before pouring that over, too. Cool to room temperature add the yeast nutrient.

Set aside for 12 hours before adding yeast and pectolase. Leave in a warm place for a week. Strain into a demijohn and leave to ferment out – which in the summer months can be as quickly as one month and up to about three.

I also make this with about 10-20 sprays of elderflowers. Elder was in bloom earlier than my gooseberries were ready so I have frozen some. They do go brown but the wine is not noticeably darker.

This is yummy

GOOSEBERRY WINE

Yummy. I have a six bottle kit on the go. Currently clearing. Unfortunately not many goosegogs this year.

Sell them down the local market and buy more bee stuff. In knighton we have a zero miles stall at the farmers market. Everyone brings extra food they grow but can't use and other people buy it. The bringer gets 80 percent of the price and the stall holder gets the rest. Everyone is happy!
E

Latest posts

Back