Goodbye Mabel - it was a pleasure knowing you

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Well the little dog in my avatar died suddenly on us Saturday evening. There was no time to do anything - SWMBO had difficulty getting hold of me and by the time I'd got home she'd gone (although I think it would have been too late hours before) she was a rescue dog we'd only had a couple of years and was SWMBO's but we had got very attached (both of us being appreciative of strong smelling cheeses and honey on toast and the fact being home a lot the last year it was i who had the time in the mornings to leave her patrol the garden and mooch around the beehives) we'd got her to replace another little dachshund who died suddenly in similar circumstances but not quite as sudden (blocked bowel and haemorragging leading to peritonitis)
So she's gone and my old dog (springer) a creaking gate with health problems still hangs on and is missing her badly as we all are. The house seems horribly cold and empty without her scuttling around and looking quizzically at me and of course the mandatory early morning bark at the postman!

I'm really sorry to hear that JBM, pets of any kind leave a huge gap when they go.

That's a shame it's always sad to hear about pets passing.

Painful news, JBM, and I'm sorry to hear it.

It's really strange what a huge impact a pet can have on our lives.
Something magical about being able to bridge the species barrier and find common language, common affection and mutual delight.

Long may she reward you with good memories, once the sadness starts to wane.

Dusty

sympathy

Jbm,
massive sympathy for the loss of your hound,they do get under your skin.

I can appreciate how you feel, pets become part of the family and do leave a big hole when they are gone.

A sad day indeed JBM, my heart felt condolences.

So sorry, JB.
They are such wonderful company.
I type this as my old collie is mooching round the garden and the youngster is snuggled up next to me on the sofa in the sun room (husband still in bed....lazy git!..... so not telling him to get off ;) )

We lost our last last papillon few years ago and sometimes when I come home I find myself about to say hello to her.
She was a wonderfull little dog.
We used to breed them and at one time we had 27 in the house.

It took a lot of effort not to get another dog to replace her but I dont think we would have found one as good as she was.

Sorry to learn of your loss JBM. I stopped at a friend's house on Friday and asked after their wee dog ( a rescue fell terrier) and learned she had died suddenly. I had thought she was just hiding from the two boisterous pups they were dog sitting for their daughter. It is humbling how much you can miss even a friend's dog.

Sorry to hear about your loss JBM - it sounds like Mabel landed on her feet when she ended up at your household. Remember the good times.

Rather belatedly, but so sorry to hear the news of Mabel. It's heart wrenching when they go, but they always leave good memories to bring a smile

Have 3 rescued dogs ,they know they have been rescued and show it with affection,my last dog died at17 had him all his life ,his passing was heartbreaking,know exactly how you feel,so sorry
martin

Nice to know that as a former rescue dog it's final years were happy.

So sorry to hear this. You gave her the best life she could have hoped for, I hope you take comfort in that. We lost a pet last year, it's heart breaking, and they do leave a huge hole in life for a while. She was a handsome dog! Beautiful.

Sorry to hear about that. As mentioned before, I am sure she had the perfect life with you, and again, hope that fact will give you comfort.
Craig

Back