Goodbye dear friend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is sad. 10 year old lovely border collie here. Not looking forward to the day she passes. It really does feel like losing a family member

It sure is hard when the inevitable happens, i have lost a lot of dogs over the years some young and some old and each one hurts just the same as the last, i lost 3 in a 2yr spell all where good and all three where 8yrs old, Mammary Cancer/ Meningitis and Leptospirosis finished them of , i never dwell on the living now i just take each day as it comes, otherwise it would drive me round the bend worrying when they are going too die.

I just can't believe our luck. Spent most of last evening at vets and then on to the surgery with Jesse and suspected object stuck in her intestines. Operation today, which didn't sound very good and 3/4 of a yellow ball removed. No recollection of any yellow, rubber ball for what it's worth. Should have her back by Sunday. :(

Oh no...........
Intestinal obstruction is such a horrendously scary thing for a dog and owner to go through. It's so sudden. My poor old collie that I lost earlier this year had the same thing a year or so after I retired and I felt so out of control. She'll be fine, recovery is swift.....not so good for your pocket though, Steve :(

I just can't believe our luck. Spent most of last evening at vets and then on to the surgery with Jesse and suspected object stuck in her intestines. Operation today, which didn't sound very good and 3/4 of a yellow ball removed. No recollection of any yellow, rubber ball for what it's worth. Should have her back by Sunday. :(

At least you got her to the vets swift and got it dealt with, good luck with your bad luck several weeks of lead walking and she will be good as new.

Thanks for the kind words. It was sudden alright, she was fine at 2pm and by 3.30 she was terrible. I thought she might have eaten something because she'd been sick ... lot's and knowing what she's like (always picking stuff up) I had a bit of a sinking feeling. To quote an old Blues number, "if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all" and yes, the 'guesstimate' has almost doubled already.
The vet had to do two incisions, one in the small intestine but the other was close to the stomach and mentioned this was riskier as she couldn't get too close (you'll know what she means) so it sounds like one piece was trapped there, all in all a bloody horror story and she's only little, bless her.
Even as we dropped her off I was looking at the dog toys they had for sale and there were plenty that I'd rejected for ours as too feeble. The trouble is, they're Patterdales :)
If you don't give them a purpose, they'll go and find one. We ought to move to Northumberland and then they could go out ratting with Millet :D

Thanks for the kind words. It was sudden alright, she was fine at 2pm and by 3.30 she was terrible. I thought she might have eaten something because she'd been sick ... lot's and knowing what she's like (always picking stuff up) I had a bit of a sinking feeling. To quote an old Blues number, "if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all" and yes, the 'guesstimate' has almost doubled already.
The vet had to do two incisions, one in the small intestine but the other was close to the stomach and mentioned this was riskier as she couldn't get too close (you'll know what she means) so it sounds like one piece was trapped there, all in all a bloody horror story and she's only little, bless her.
Even as we dropped her off I was looking at the dog toys they had for sale and there were plenty that I'd rejected for ours as too feeble. The trouble is, they're Patterdales :)
If you don't give them a purpose, they'll go and find one. We ought to move to Northumberland and then they could go out ratting with Millet :D
You are not wrong there, that is where a lot of kind hearted folk go wrong when re homing ex working rescue dogs, some are ok but a lot are highly strung and need stimulating daily or there will end up wrecking the house and killing things they should not be.
After thousands of pounds spent at the vets of the past couple of decades i have decided to get my current pooch insured, but typically she has hit 5yrs old and not had a bad enough injury that has cost me more than the £100 voluntary excess, ratting wise we are always short of terriers on the big days and any decent fellow with dogs that are not terribly aggressive are usually welcome. ;)

We lost SWMBO's first daxie to something similar - she was fine in the evening, a bit off colour in the morning (she turned down a share of my breakfast!) when I came home from the apiary linchtime she was nearly gone (SWMBO was out) she rallied a bit with oxygen and plasma at the vet, it was a blockage around about the duodenum, sadly she was so weak she never made it through the op goodness know what the blockage was - neither I nor the vet could make it out but I'm guessing it was some nylon fur from a cuddly toy which had been there for some time combined with a constriction in the bowel probably caused by abuse from the previous owner one day it just blocked completely. Her successor (the one in the photo) another rescue dog sort of went the same way - clingy and off colour lunchtime, curled up for a nap with our spaniel later and never woke up.
Glad yours seems to be OK

Lost a cat after 19 years all what I called it it broke heart when I had to have her put down. Never again I said but some how I have not one but two cats to wind me up. Secretly I must be a cat lover but I'll never admit to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My poor cat cost £300 in bills due to some arse setting rat traps... tore her paw in two.. even then a lucky escape.
We have a local "ratter" with a pack of evil dogs... seems to have little respect for peoples pets or anything much else!
What harm can a few rats do?

Nos da

Lost a cat after 19 years all what I called it it

As kids we had a cat called Trex - well, dad called it cooking fat - so we kids decided to be a bit more specific.
What harm can a few rats do?

Back a little before the great war my grandmother's neighbours lost three children to leptospirosis I remember my grandmother's brother uncle David John telling me the whole story (in between gasps for air - a liflelong miner) they all died about the same time, my great grandfather had to go down to the stream at the bottom of the garden to take the gun off the grieving father eventually, he could hardly stand such was his grief.

She's back home. Now for the hard part, trying to keep her calm.
The two obstructions were parts of a tennis ball so obviously something she picked up but no idea when. They've done four of these ops this week.

As kids we had a cat called Trex - well, dad called it cooking fat - so we kids decided to be a bit more specific.

Back a little before the great war my grandmother's neighbours lost three children to leptospirosis I remember my grandmother's brother uncle David John telling me the whole story (in between gasps for air - a liflelong miner) they all died about the same time, my great grandfather had to go down to the stream at the bottom of the garden to take the gun off the grieving father eventually, he could hardly stand such was his grief.

That is a sad story and many folk underestimate the damage just one single rat can do, Leptospirosis being a bad one of many and i have seen rat proof aviaries cleaned out of hundreds of pounds worth of birds because a persistent rat found its way in, the only thing they are good for is exercising the dogs.

The two obstructions were parts of a tennis ball so obviously something she picked up but no idea when. They've done four of these ops this week.

Good news ;) , but you have hit the nail on the head there with keeping them quiet, it is ok with your average run of the mill pet pooch but terriers will test the patience of a saint, you probably know this but i find it very helpful to keep a pooch in a dog cage in between lead walks for the toilet, with three sides covered they just relax and go to sleep eventually, it works for me any way.

i have seen rat proof aviaries cleaned out of hundreds of pounds worth of birds because a persistent rat found its way in,

That's why I packed birdkeeping in - my uncle David John was a lifelong bird breeder - Border canaries and British finches (used to trap his own as well way back when) when he got too breathless to walk down to his bird shed he passed everything on to me, but one day (not long after my dad had died) a rat got into my shed and wiped out everything apart from one green/buff cock when he fell off his perch I never got any more birds.

Good news ;) , but you have hit the nail on the head there with keeping them quiet, it is ok with your average run of the mill pet pooch but terriers will test the patience of a saint, you probably know this but i find it very helpful to keep a pooch in a dog cage in between lead walks for the toilet, with three sides covered they just relax and go to sleep eventually, it works for me any way.

We trained our Lab from a puppy to go in a cage ... he's 11 and still is happy to go in there if we need to confine him for any reason.

When he had a recent Operation he really hated the plastic lampshade 'collar of shame' but I got him one of these and he was very happy (or more resigned !) to wear it ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buster-In...hash=item1c655766ef:m:mHO4VLPgSDDmwg4lz4TP0Yw

When he had a recent Operation he really hated the plastic lampshade 'collar of shame' but I got him one of these and he was very happy (or more resigned !) to wear it ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buster-In...hash=item1c655766ef:m:mHO4VLPgSDDmwg4lz4TP0Yw

Dogs hate those collars, I never used them.
Small dogs are much better with one of those baby all-in-one vest/pants with the poppers at the crotch. You just undo one popper for the tail and all of them when out for walks.

Sending her hugs.....poor little thing

Dogs hate those collars, I never used them.
Small dogs are much better with one of those baby all-in-one vest/pants with the poppers at the crotch. You just undo one popper for the tail and all of them when out for walks.

Not sure I'd find a romper suit for our 85lb lab !!

He did hate the lamp shade provided by the vet .... but the inflatable didn't really bother him at all ... He's a licker and scratcher and so no chance of him leaving stitches that are accessible alone ... and there's not much of a dog that's not accessible to a dog's tongue 1

Ohhhhhhhh, Phil 85?

Not fat ... he's just a big boy !! We keep our Labs very trim ... back problems are very common in Labs and they beat hell out of leg joints so extra weight is not good for them. Should be able to see a waist line and feel a hint of ribs if they are in good shape. He's 11 going on 12 and getting a bit stiff at times now ... walks are a bit shorter, stairs and steps with care, jumping and ball fetching now banned and plenty of fish oil for his joints. As our past labs go he's on borrowed time but looks like there might be a few years in him yet.

Mind you, lifting him into the back of the car will probably kill me before that !

Latest posts

Back