Glue for queen numbering?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if it can hold the stomach of a 400 lb woman closed until it heals. it will hold that number on a queen :)

I appreciate it is very strong,but does it break down after a few weeks,dissolve,biodegradable,or is the person/animal left with a permanent lump of glue in them.

I appreciate it is very strong,but does it break down after a few weeks,dissolve,biodegradable,or is the person/animal left with a permanent lump of glue in them.

Over a period of weeks to months it washes off with frequent bathing, but seeing as we don't bath our queens....

It isn't used internally, it would cause a immune response if used internally... it is used on the skin surface to close incisions, it is as good as stitching without the risk of introducing infection with the needle.

I haven't ever tried gluing a disk to a queen, but I have used Dermabond and I imagine it would work quite well. It has a mile long list of warnings about gluing instruments or latex gloves to patients. :)

Last edited:
Over a period of weeks to months it washes off with frequent bathing, but seeing as we don't bath our queens....

Should be okay in a dry hive then,personally i prefer to number the hives. But glue is the subject.

Last edited:
I also number hives. I only mark queens so I know when they have been superseded or if a hive swarmed. I don't have any problems finding a queen... She is the one that is huge and laying eggs:)

The secret to getting good at finding a queen in a hive is to know where to look... Pull frames until you locate one that is predominately eggs... that is where I start. Most often she is either on that frame or a frame next to it.

If I number a queen I still have to look the number up to know the information for that queen... So if the hive is numbered and the queen marked I know I have the right information...

Pound shops regularly have cards with 10 or 12 small tubes of super glue. Choose a busy one where the turnover is likely to be brisk and so the glue is likely to be fresher. Buy new each year.

Make up a small stick with a sewing pin in one end and paint or varnish the other end and ensure that that end is slightly concave. To use - in controlled conditions - dip the pin head in a bead of super glue and quickly apply to the thorax of the queen, then with the other end of the stick wet, but shaken, place the end of the stick on a prepared number disk, which should stick due to surface tension on the wet stick end. Place on the super glue on top of the queen and firm down gently.

You may need to work in a partial vacuum and have the arms of an octopus, but that's the way to do it. Arrange for a numbering station made from a piece of plywood that will hold the super glue, a few drops of water, your number disks and application tool. Or use a desk.

I watched the Swienty Girl video.

Practice on drones. If you are really clever you can consider practicing on workers . . .

400lbs, that is quite a lot of woman.

Sugarbush...we do need to number for breeding group records. And lemme guess you have blonde queens not black ones..;)

Quick set super glue? No thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sugarbush...we do need to number for breeding group records.

Please explain.

And lemme guess you have blonde queens not black ones..;)

I have had a lot of black bees. I used to get all my colonies from cutouts in the Appalachian Mountains and there are still pockets of AMM stock feral in the Mountains.

Latest posts

Back