Giving up beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
After 6 years of happy beekeeping I have finally had to give up due to ill health. Thanks for all the advice received from forum members during that time. My bees have gone to three new beekeepers who have just completed the beginner course and to a more established beekeeping couple and I am pleased that the bees will be better looked after than I am now able to do.

Since I can't keep bees myself any more I am consoling myself with the thought that at least I have helped and encouraged other people. So all my books will be going to the next association meeting so that they can be put to good use. Similarly I hope that some of the new beekeepers mentioned above will be able to make use of all the spare equipment that I have left.

That does not mean that I will be able to keep away from this forum and reading all your friendly discussions/arguments. Once you are hooked it is hard to give up. bee-smillie

sorry you are giving up, but can you not do something on your association side of things
any way good luck in the future

fare well friend of the bees!

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck.

Makes me wonder at what point does one give up.... getting over bowel cancer spurred me on to start

giving up beekeeping

After 6 years of happy beekeeping I have finally had to give up due to ill health. Thanks for all the advice received from forum members during that time. My bees have gone to three new beekeepers who have just completed the beginner course and to a more established beekeeping couple and I am pleased that the bees will be better looked after than I am now able to do.

Since I can't keep bees myself any more I am consoling myself with the thought that at least I have helped and encouraged other people. So all my books will be going to the next association meeting so that they can be put to good use. Similarly I hope that some of the new beekeepers mentioned above will be able to make use of all the spare equipment that I have left.

That does not mean that I will be able to keep away from this forum and reading all your friendly discussions/arguments. Once you are hooked it is hard to give up. bee-smillie

4& a half weeks after a massive heart attack I am getting another twenty brood boxes ready, never give up even if you have to get some one to manage them for you. good luck

Sorry to hear it, what about a top-bar like Monty D?

4& a half weeks after a massive heart attack I am getting another twenty brood boxes ready, never give up even if you have to get some one to manage them for you. good luck

Take it easy mate - another one might finish you off!!!

sorry you are giving up, but can you not do something on your association side of things
any way good luck in the future

Yes indeed, that is why I am doing all the badges for the delegates at the EBKA conference this year.

Makes me wonder at what point does one give up.... getting over bowel cancer spurred me on to start

The point where I decided to give up was when I felt unable to look after the bees properly, dropping the frames etc. and not being able to inspect. It was unfair to expect my husband to continue to do it. He does not even like bees. The bees will be much better off with their new, enthusiastic, owners.

With any livestock, animals or pets I think the important thing is that they should come first. Not the feelings of the owners.

After 6 years of happy beekeeping I have finally had to give up due to ill health. .......

Well ... That's sad but at least you are doing it the right way. There's more than one virtual beekeeper on here so you won't be alone dropping in from time to time ..

Latest posts

Back