Giving up beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best teacher in beekeeping I have met is a 73 year old who has been keeping bees since he was 15. Has been a Bee Inspector as well at one time. Tremendous practical knowledge and great source of stories. Not an organiser but a fount of knowledge.

I first met members of our local association at an open day and the "we know so much more than you do" and "you must do a beginners course with us before you buy a hive/think about site/read any books" and "you cannot possibly keep bees in your garden at home" attitudes put me right off. I can see that these statements may be true but wouldn't it be better to find out my personal circumstances first? Like the fact that I kept bees for 10 years previously, and that my garden is an acre and completely surrounded by fields, no neighbours!
This spring I smilied smugly to myself as I read the newsletter which said "you should be feeding your bees now" with no suggestion to checking what stores were already there, and "does anyone have any spare colonies?" as the association apiary ones had ALL died. Mine all survived and no I didn't feed them that particular week as they did not need it!

So whilst I agree that the beginners courses may be the best way to start in theory, it seems that not all associations are as welcoming and supportive as they could be

Our Association has a policy of involving beekeepers with 2-3 years experience to help welcome and train newcomers. Far more likely to empathise with the initial problems.. and far easier to swap personal experiences only 2-3 years old.

I'm sure it is the first expereince of handling bees which is a vital part in people not continuing. On our taster day, within about 10 mins of the hive being opened - I realised that the bee buzzing in front of me was inside the veil! I was able to calmly walk away from the group - and with assistance remove the smock carefully and released her. The instructor and her assistant were so calm and gentle with the bees, and gave everyone the opportunity to handle a frame at thier own pace - and to just take pleasure in looking at the frame and what they were all doing. I have seen other people working with the bees - and there is almost 'fear' in what they are doing, and I'm sure this can be picked up by beginners, who then feel they can't cope with thier own bees, if things aren't going to plan.

Our association is only in its third year and the attrition rate has been very high. In the first year we had nearly 60 members, mostly enthusiastic beginners with a few experianced bee keepers. There are now fewer than 15 paid members and the numbers turning up at meetings can be counted on one hand.

Unfortunately some of our more experianced members were quite vocal and critical at meetings at the start and while they meant well it really put alot beginners off. Some of the less vocal experianced beekeepers didn't come back either. This of course on top of the fact that our area has had two particularly bad summers in a row and many of our beginners lost all their bees.

Hello people! (Speaking as a newbie). It's a BEEKEEPERS' Association, not a North London gender-neutral parenting co-operative. It's going to have a Queen, and workers, and drones, and you're a fluffy nurse worker, under suspicion of being a drone, kicked out to die in the autumn. Eventually you'll get to go out and forage, then scout, then die in glory balling a hornet, but patience please. What you need (IMO) is a mentor. That's an individual thing outside the "hive" structure. Find someone who is some combination of the oldest and quietest and ask them simple, but not stupid, questions. And from the hive's point of view, there is a huge chance you are a drone, which is where this thread started out; it has every right to conserve its resources (whiel having a duty to give you value for your subscription).

On the drifted subject of the thread, what all the written theory and assessments has to do with anything is beyond me. I suppose I can see a case that with so many diseases about an ignorant beekeeper is a menace but it can be argued both ways. RYA likewise; it's the passages that count.

Find someone who is some combination of the oldest and quietest and ask them simple, but not stupid, questions.
QUOTE]

On that score, no one would ask me, as I'm neither old nor quiet! I do notice with a wry smile that our older and our male members are more likely to be listened to. IMHO it's not about age, it's about experience.

Personally, it was a hands on experience with a gentle mentor that hooked me. Never attended a course and for me it was not needed. Definitely should never, ever be made compulsory.

Cazza

You can learn a lot more with a good friendly mentor than you can on a course.

Latest posts

Back