Getting overwintered nucinto hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
Now that the day time temperature here in the south is hitting 14 degrees and the Daffs and trees are in bloom, I think it is time to get my overwintered nuc into a full hive. Was going to put the 5 frames in brood box with dummy boards either side, put further brood box with new foundation above and feed winter strength 2:1 syrup in a small rapid feeder with reduced entrance. Does that all sound right?

Do you first know the strength of your over wintered nuc?

I think yes perhaps move it to a bb but if you can dummy it down with two insulated board with the edges covered with duck tape and give the nuc say only one or perhaps two new frames of foundation at a time. In an ideal world a bit of insulation over the crown board.

No 2nd bb and if they still have stores in the comb then no syrup as the syrup will in my opinion only slow the build up down you can still give a bit of fondant and they will need access to water. Let them expand at a steady natural pace.

I think you are being a bit premature.

I move mine over when they are up to five, yes 5 good frames of brood.

If they are up to that kind of strength then they are well able to cope with more than a doubling of their space.

Please be kind to them.

PH

Do you first know the strength of your over wintered nuc?

I think yes perhaps move it to a bb but if you can dummy it down with two insulated board with the edges covered with duck tape and give the nuc say only one or perhaps two new frames of foundation at a time. In an ideal world a bit of insulation over the crown board.

No 2nd bb and if they still have stores in the comb then no syrup as the syrup will in my opinion only slow the build up down you can still give a bit of fondant and they will need access to water. Let them expand at a steady natural pace.

:iagree:

And a small colony really needs a frame feeder not a rapid feeder.
Rapid for really strong colony- contact for medium strength colony- frame for Nuc size.

I think you are being a bit premature.

I move mine over when they are up to five, yes 5 good frames of brood.

If they are up to that kind of strength then they are well able to cope with more than a doubling of their space.

Please be kind to them.

PH

Thank you for that guideline re 5 good frames of brood. Much appreciated.

Thanks all for advice, especially Tom, as the bees are in one of your Nuc boxes.

Latest posts

Back