Gardens of Suburbia : Forage month by month

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2.5 months that I may see pollen in willows. No need to add winter stores.

now it is near zero temp during next 10 days. Ground is white but 10-20 cm snow. Very exceptional winter.

El Niño phenomenom?

In Siberia Yakutsk. Same latitude as Helsinki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9qCyBZG6_4

Last edited:
Isn't that a drone?

To my eye is was definitely one of my workers. I was given a nuc of caucasians Spring 2014. Her daughter queens which emerged that year and 2015 have doubtless mated with the local stock but they all still have the caucasian distinctives of grey stripe and large size - as well are remarkable gentleness, and too much propolis everywhere but I cope with it!

Snow drops are in full flow but only around 10 of the 600 crocus i planted are in flower, the willow trees right next to the hive are just starting to bud apart from that everything is still dormant.

Millet, given we are in the same region, be interesting to note the difference which altitude makes. My forage area is from sea level [tidal reach of the Tyne] to 70 metres. Yours?

Millet, given we are in the same region, be interesting to note the difference which altitude makes. My forage area is from sea level [tidal reach of the Tyne] to 70 metres. Yours?
Tom, my hive is around 1.5 mile from the sea not far from RAF Boulmer on the Norumberland coast, i'm not sure on the sea level side of things but at a guess i would say the forage area is between 20 to 50 meters from sea level.

Tom, my hive is around 1.5 mile from the sea not far from RAF Boulmer on the Norumberland coast, i'm not sure on the sea level side of things but at a guess i would say the forage area is between 20 to 50 meters from sea level.

Ah right, the main reason for difference in blossom times between thee and me will be proximity to the coast then. We're 18 miles inland at least here. Enough for the sea fret influence to be nil. And yet I guess you'll get fewer frosts where you are, though this winter that has hardly been an issue. My guess is that in colder winters you would have a spring advantage, and in warmer winters inland has the spring advantage.

To my eye is was definitely one of my workers. I was given a nuc of caucasians Spring 2014. Her daughter queens which emerged that year and 2015 have doubtless mated with the local stock but they all still have the caucasian distinctives of grey stripe and large size - as well are remarkable gentleness, and too much propolis everywhere but I cope with it!

You missed the point. Hebe - Drone!!!!!

Get it?

He Bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A big difference in a small distance IMHO - I have two apiaries about 2.5 miles apart - one at 96 metres above sea level and the other 178 metres - there can be two weeks difference in the stage of plant development.

First Day of March and at 4pm in dull cool weather all my colonies have some brave workers out foraging! It's nectar coming home with just the occasional pollen bearer. I notice they are having difficulty landing; is that because they are a little chilled?

Very busy on an ornamental cherry two gardens away from me; magnificent large tree and I'm glad it's there as they clearly are!

Snowdrops are in full flow but I saw no bees on them, likewise the Coltsfoot is open but no interest. Blackthorn began to open and has paused for several days with buds just bursting and going no further.

A big difference in a small distance IMHO - I have two apiaries about 2.5 miles apart - one at 96 metres above sea level and the other 178 metres - there can be two weeks difference in the stage of plant development.

Congleton is in Cheshire, 3 miles down the road and 40 meters or so above sealevel vs our 200. Three weeks difference in spring...and about 2-3C.. Further into Cheshire make that 4 weeks and 4C.. Noticeable on sunny days or snowy ones.

I followed my bees today during a two hour window of warm sunshine on a cold day. Viburnum! Scores of them on one huge bush in full flower. My book calls it Laurustinus and tells me bees go for pollen only on this plant. Certainly I saw none sucking nectar, rather busying about on the flower heads, so that would I guess suggest pollen gathering. I saw none with sizeable sacks though.

Scores also on the ornamental cherry I have mentioned above, and that's certainly for nectar.

I followed my bees today during a two hour window of warm sunshine on a cold day. Viburnum
Bees working Viburnum here on 20 December - I was so shocked I recorded it! Dandelion & pussy willow today. Still plenty of snowdrop, despite them having been out since Jan

Cold grey day here, though air is almost still. But plenty of foraging going on! At least four different pollens coming in, including the very first dandelion. Others which I don't know are bright mid yellow, yellow-ochre, and grey-cream. Any thoughts on those this time of year?

Taking a walk around the neighbourhood the only bees I saw on anything: that same cherry tree they started on 1st March! Still lots on it 21 days later which is amazing.

About to burst around here is flowering red current and laurel, but their very full flower buds are biding their time.

Cold grey day here, though air is almost still. But plenty of foraging going on! At least four different pollens coming in, including the very first dandelion. Others which I don't know are bright mid yellow, yellow-ochre, and grey-cream. Any thoughts on those this time of year?

Taking a walk around the neighbourhood the only bees I saw on anything: that same cherry tree they started on 1st March! Still lots on it 21 days later which is amazing.

About to burst around here is flowering red current and laurel, but their very full flower buds are biding their time.
I was in north Yorkshire today and the Hawthorn is in full flower, back in Hartlepool today and there's not a bud in sight and the same in Northumberland.

I was in north Yorkshire today and the Hawthorn is in full flower,

The blackthorn is just starting to flower in a few places here, the Hawthorn usually flowers here during may and up until early June some years.

About the same here HM.

Weeping willows are beginning to have a green tinge, so they'll have their leaves in a week or so. A few hawthorn in sheltered spots starting to show leaves, but unlikely to flower until the end of May. Alder catkins in abundance, haxel starting to go over, some birch showing signs of bud burst.

Blackthorn's coming into flower, cherry plum is mostly over, pussy willow starting to show.

I was in north Yorkshire today and the Hawthorn is in full flower, back in Hartlepool today and there's not a bud in sight and the same in Northumberland.

I'd think that what you saw will be blackthorn. The hawthorn in my garden is starting to show leaf buds, but the blossom is still way off.
There's blackthorn along the roadside all the way from Leeds to Chelmsford. Next time I make the run I suspect the fields will be yellow.

I'd think that what you saw will be blackthorn. The hawthorn in my garden is starting to show leaf buds, but the blossom is still way off.
There's blackthorn along the roadside all the way from Leeds to Chelmsford. Next time I make the run I suspect the fields will be yellow.

Its Hawthorn, ;) i breed Bullfinches and i collect both hawthorn and blackthorn every year so i have a rough idea what it looks like, as well as many other flowering fruit trees and shrubs, i agree it is early for it to be flowering so soon, i usually start collecting the branches when the birds are starting to pair up properly which is around the back end of April.

They sure love them Hawthorn buds.

Bullies%20hawthorn%20007_zpsfumagpqu.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back