Gaps between supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
A friend has made me a hive and three supers from some spare Cedar he had kicking around.The only one thing is the boxes don't fit that close together there is the odd gap between each super - Will it be ok? I know the bees will propolise any space they don't like but how much of a gap can I get away with?

The easy answer to this is: tape.

A gap which is negotiable by bees would be a pain if you plan to move the hive....but tape will cure it.

It could leave them open to robbing by other bees and wasps...tape again.

If the gap is less than a bees-worth, then it isn't a problem, and they will seal it up.

Hope that is some help.

It could leave them open to robbing by other bees and wasps...tape again.

I once bought a load of second hand supers that didn't fit together particularly well. It resulted in massive wasp problems - they got in every possible gap.

What is a bees worth precisely - I've just built a dartington type varroa floor with an 8 mm gap which will obviously leave bees out but what sort of gap won't bother them? i'm just starting and my own natural incompetece is bad enough a few friendly pointers sometimes helps!!

Latest posts

Back