Frustration

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witchcraft

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two weeks ago I had three hives with queens and eggs - I didn't inspect last week as the weather was foul - simply topping up the feeders. I have just come back from this week's inspection to find one hive fine and dandy and each of the other two hives seemingly queenless with no eggs nor young brood. One had three QCs one capped removed and two open.

My questions:

1 - Should I assume the QCs are for supersedure (I guess so) - if so is there any chance now of a successful mating?

2 - Should I assume the other hive has go on off lay or has the queen bu88ered off or been killed by one of the thousands of bloody wasps, and unite with my successful hive?

3 - Should I just unite all of the dodgy hives with my good one and go into the winter with one strong hive?

Ideas please! The year I pass my Basic is when it all starts going wrong...

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
1) Yes and she could already be mated, although unlikely?

2) Don't assume anything and Idon't know.

3) That will be your choice. I don't know enough about the size, health, Q+/-, etc. to comment at this point.

Most of us are not inspecting weekly any more, in fact my next inspection will be next march, so I wouldn't know what they were doing and wouldn't be worrying about it. Leave them to it....... They 'usually' know best. Kill your queen during an inspection and your up the creek with a very thin paddle!

Apart from sticking on Apiguard I haven't looked in any BBs since around mid July - on the basis that they know what they want to do so let them do it. All my lot are buzzing in numbersout of the entrances as soon as the sun showed today so they must be OK - fingers crossed of course. Didn't lose any last winter (other than a dlq due to poor mating previous summer I think) so I am hoping same will apply this year. Probably too late for any other messing around.

I'd leave the one with Q cells alone and unite the other Q- colony onto your good one.

1 - Should I assume the QCs are for supersedure (I guess so) - if so is there any chance now of a successful mating?

2 - Should I assume the other hive has go on off lay or has the queen bu88ered off or been killed by one of the thousands of bloody wasps, and unite with my successful hive?

3 - Should I just unite all of the dodgy hives with my good one and go into the winter with one strong hive?

1. I have one colony in the same situation and I have left them to get on with it. (Own choice in the end)

2. Queens can go off lay for a number of reasons at this time of year (Varroa treatment / lack of incoming stores etc.)

3. My personal opinion is not to unite any with your Q+ colony unless your are 100% sure there is no queen present in the suspected Q- colony.

As Rab said it's hard to give advice without knowing more information rgarding colony strength etc.

Latest posts

Back