Fruit trees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugger it ... I hope there's still some Victoria Plums left in my local Aldi ... I missed out last year as they went so quick .. thought they were supposed to hold stock off sale until the promotion starts ... Will look in on my way home from work ..:hairpull:

My local Aldi manager is playing by the rules ... will be on sale tomorrow morning at 8.00am ... tree buyers to form an orderly queue ... Mind you, I picked up a brilliant end of range folding stand that will be useful for supporting long lengths of timber coming off my table saw and planer ... £10 - what a snip !

Will be there tomorrow for a Victoria Plum tree with a bit of luck ...

Cross Hands Aldi has them

Saw five varieties of Apple, pear, 3 of cherry and some raspberry canes. Instructions say that they grow to 3m

(Just changed that height to the correct amount. Had a brain-dump)

Last edited:
My apologies - 3m... I was educated in the changeover from inches to cm. See 3m head says that 9-10ft. Typed 9m.

The instructions on the fruit trees definitely say 3m

Saw five varieties of Apple, pear, 3 of cherry and some raspberry canes. Instructions say that they grow to 9m

I got a Greengage last year (I love greengage jam) and a Bramley apple ... they had had some Plum trees but I arrived a day after the sale started and missed them ... hope there's going to be some there this year. Manager tempted me by saying they are tall strong trees but he didn't know what flavours were in the box.

Will these trees survive and bear fruit without any chemicals, I had a cherry tree once and it's shoots got eaten by green fly

Will these trees survive and bear fruit without any chemicals, I had a cherry tree once and it's shoots got eaten by green fly

I don't see why not - my trees don't get any chemicals and some are over 100 years old.

my concern is that some fruit tries may be hybrids and are a weaker variety and are acceptable to disease and pests

Last edited:
Thanks for this,
Just got back after buying a Braeburn Apple, Williams Pear, Czar Plum, Morello Cherry and 12 Rasberry.
Wot a bargain!
P.S
Still have about 50 trees there...wonder if they will continue the sale.

Last edited:
I bought two plums trees there today ... A Czar Plum and an Opal Plum. I really wanted a Victoria Plum but at £3.99 a tree you can't really go wrong. Both strong looking trees with a nice root ball. Soaking overnight in a bucket and into the ground tomorrow I hope.

The plan is Plums from July to September - I love them - and plum jams as well !

Plum Czar:

An old and trusted variety that produces purple blue fruits that darken and sweeten as they mature.

Picked young, the blue skinned fruits will be found to be quite acidic - making them one of the best cooking plums (or perfect for those who like a bit more bite to their plums!).

If left on the tree the skins will darken down to near black in colour and the flesh will become much sweeter - making it lovely late season eating plum.

Season of use August.
First introduced 1871, Hertfordshire, UK.
Self Fertile - but pollination by another damson, gage or plum will maximise yield.
Grown on St Julien A rootstock for an ultimate (un-pruned) height of 12 - 15 feet (3.65 - 4.6 metres) but can easily be kept at a height of 6 - 8 feet (1.8 - 2.4 metres).

Recommended by the RHS to be an excellent attractant and nectar source for bees and other beneficial insects.

Plum : Opal

Plum 'Opal' is one of the most reliable garden varieties, and is suitable for growing throughout the country. Slightly earlier to crop than 'Victoria', this dessert plum produces a heavy crop of excellent quality, small, yellow skinned fruits with an attractive red flush in July and August. The golden flesh easily separates from its stone and has a delicious gage flavour.

Grafted onto a semi-dwarfing rootstock, to produce a compact, productive tree. Plum 'Opal' is partially self-fertile but will produce a better yield if planted with a pollination companion such as Plum 'Victoria'. Height and spread: 2.5m (8'). Rootstock: St. Julien A.

Estimated time to cropping once planted: 2 years.
Estimated time to best yields: 4 years.

my concern is that some fruit tries may be hybrids and are a weaker variety and are acceptable to disease and pests

Our Victoria plum - ex Aldi in 2007 - is about 2 meters tall and is planted in our lawn. Approx. 15kg of fruit last year- its third and best crop.

No fertiliser , no spraying, no insecticide- ever. Nothing except bee poo - two warre hives right behind it....

The plan is Plums from July to September - I love them - and plum jams as well !

You will need a late plum to crop into September like Marjorie's Seedling.
Czar crops earlier than Victoria and the three give me a good long season of yummy plummies.
Cazza

You will need a late plum to crop into September like Marjorie's Seedling.
Czar crops earlier than Victoria and the three give me a good long season of yummy plummies.
Cazza

Thanks Cazza ... I've had a look for Marjorie's seedling ... sounds like a plan for nearly a full summer and autumn of plums, as you say, yummy !!... cheapest I can find at present is Homebase on line at £15 ... not quite Aldi levels but cheaper than the main nurseries.

... cheapest I can find at present is Homebase on line at £15 ... not quite Aldi levels but cheaper than the main nurseries.
A poundstretcher plus store had some outside with a 5.99 label. Last time I tried Homebase when they were discounted to 9.99, they were all mislabelled. A "Bramley" produced it's first fruit last year but they look more like Braeburn, I know others who bought at the same time got random varieties.

Our Victoria plum - ex Aldi in 2007 - is about 2 meters tall and is planted in our lawn. Approx. 15kg of fruit last year- its third and best crop.

No fertiliser , no spraying, no insecticide- ever. Nothing except bee poo - two warre hives right behind it....
Brilliant that's what I wanted to know I will go and grab some today if they are still available

Hi,
Does anyone know if its a good idea to plant these right near my hives? I read that bees don't forage really close to their hives and I am wondering if it will attract more bees from other hives and increase robbing?
Thanks,

Hi,
Does anyone know if its a good idea to plant these right near my hives? I read that bees don't forage really close to their hives and I am wondering if it will attract more bees from other hives and increase robbing?
Thanks,

My home apiary is in a small orchard. Most of the fruit pollination is done by Bumbles and I have never had a robbing problem from honeybees. The fruit does however, attract wasps and hornets. The former have sometimes been a minor problem but not the latter.

for those in n Ireland l1dl have fruit trees. bare root apple pear.and cherry but all a good size. bought two earlier certainly seem good value!

My garden has apple and some victoria plum, and my hives are sited near to the plum trees and am sure it did not help the problem with wasps which are attracted to the fruit trees then they find a nice honey source nearbye...
had to make loads of wasp traps last year to keep them down..

I am also a bit concerned that the fruit trees especially the plum attract moths if you go out at dusk with torch and give the plum tree branches a shake there will be a lot of moths.

I dont know if some of them are wax moth but i did have wax moth larvae in the hives..

none of this is really a problem i dont think but i am sure the wasp, moth issue would be less if the fruit trees were further away...

just a thought if you are going to plant fruit trees near your hives :)

Latest posts

Back