Frothy honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi all
A lady in work was given 6 jars of honey and she told me it sort of fermented and went frothey on the top, it was in payment from a person who keeps hives on her small holding I havnt a clue, Any ideas

Grub

Thanks Admin

Grub

Maybe the last out of the ripener and contain the frothy scum off the top /
Tell her to have a good sniff, if it smells winey it is fermenting if not simpley scrape it off with a spoon .:)

VM

Tell her to have a good sniff, if it smells winey it is fermenting if not simpley scrape it off with a spoon .:)

VM

or eat it . . .

Granulated honey (or soft set), or is this runny honey?

I suspect it is the former - if it wasn't like this and has changed, then Admin is likely spot on. Often enough to bulge out the lids, if sealed properly.
Characterised by the surface of the honey looking 'wet' when granulated 'in the bulk'. Little excuse for it these days now that refractometers are so cheap (c. 3 jars of honey?)

RAB

VM
quite right smell is everthing,froth is air bubbles.:iagree:

Sounds like it hadn't been ripened, if it's taken off too soon before it was capped it will ferment.

Sounds like it hadn't been ripened, if it's taken off too soon before it was capped it will ferment.

They call them 'ripeners'; I call it a settling tank, honey down and air bubbles up. They are not too efficient for reducing the water content, especially if full!

OSR needs to be taken off as soon as possible. I don't bother whether it is actually capped. Sometimes the bees will not cap ripe honey because the cells are not completely full. A considered decision needs to be taken in those circumstances (using the shake test) and the only rule which will hold true is: If it is capped, it will not ferment.

Granulated - Admin correct; runny Victor Meldew correct. My guess was the former because the poster indicated a change after reception.

RAB

Back