From zero to bee-ro apple blossom colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
(condensed post = how do I go from nothing at all (empty new hives) to being 'fully' colony functional in time for apple blossom (<April) since my site is my family's lovely family traditional orchard... would be cool to set bees loose on the apple blossom from the get-go year 1)

Evenin' all,

So I'll try not to be too controversial, I have a habit of such things, as I am mostly virtual beekeeping in my head while I can only keep bees in my imagination until next season. I'm sure you can imagine, my brain has an autumn/winter buzz, and chatting on this 'ere forum keeps me inspired in the meantime!

Aaaanyway... question and thoughts time...

I hope to get going next season spring 2015... I have a one acre traditional orchard available to me (my folks') as a nice place to apiarize (if that's a word!?) in North Somerset.

I understand that apple blossom is very early in the season April/May.

As I am starting out from scratch next season, is it possible, and how would I go about, having new fresh busy happy hives in time for the apple blossom season 2015?

I know it's not the be all and end all, and I will be going ahead anyway regardless. But it would simply be really pleasing and nice to have brand new colonies let loose on our 20 or so trees right from the get go (even if they decide to ignore the trees!)

The trees always do well anyway, although much winter pruning required AGAIN.

So simply, if I am starting from scratch spring 2015, how well set up and busy bee colonies am I able to get going with in time for the apple blossom season?

Tips, tricks, ideas, painful truths etc, how do I make this happen etc etc...

I'm likely to be buying hives and building them before christmas as i want to feel like I'm doing something as soon as possible! As the reality is I want to start bee-keeping NOW! But I can't :(

So, pure and simple, from zero to bee-ro by April 2015. Possible or not? And how.

(I know I should just go to my local association, courses blah etc, and I will do, but some jolly optimistic chat and thoughts for this autumnal evening would warm my cockles)

It's just after 8pm on a Saturday evening, so we've all had a few vinos, so let's keep this all as jolly banter :cheers2:

Big love

Mr Ben

Last edited:
you could go to one of the early auctions. some are in mid april and have bees in hives that you could bid for as one way.

Apple blossom doesn't give that much nectar!
Wouldn't worry too much about using it next spring. Get a colony when you can and see if you can keep them going to the following year.
Best of luck
E

dpearce4
yes, very good point, although as a beginner beekeeper I want to avoid the stress of bidding for the unknown and grapple with pandoras beehives! And am keen to colonise a (or some) brand spanking new hives. I feel auctions are for the more experienced... but yes, I will keep my eyes and ears open for some local auctions if I'm still not well on my way by auction season! But starting from 'scratch' is far more exciting for me.

Aha! I see actually... I could transpose the bees out of the old hives into my new fresh hives... not a mad idea...! (if the I get the whole kit and caboodle at a decent price)

enrico

Yes tue, at that point it's not so much to do with collecting nectar, but about pollinating my orchard (I've got CIDER to make!! That's the REAL apple nectar!) and that feeling of smugness of going 'ooh, look at my eden-esque patch of somerset biodiversity' smug smug twatty McSmuggerson etc. But you're right, it's just the apple trees that inspired me to get bees is all, so I want to see the apple blossom/bee combo asap for my own indulgence - but no biggy... just wondering how to get going fresh so early in the season.

Gonna build me some bamboo type solitary bee paradises too.

The circle of life and all that hippy Disney shizzle!

Last edited:
Well no, not quite... this is more about how soon i can actually get going in the season... that last post that you refer to was more to do with the hive structure, type, approach, method, etc.

Whereas this post is a question about whether it is possible to be set up with new hives, new colonies in time for the early apple blossom... i.e. by April-ish.

But yes, deja vu if you are wondering if it's the same person and the same orchard, same enthusiasm. Absolutely.

Different question.

p.s. and if you're wondering, from that last discussion, I think I'm gonna go with two 14x12s, 1 inhabited, 1 spare at the ready, and keep things standard approach as advised... supers as required... however, is it possible to be reasonably set up and buzzing by early april? That's my new question... and whats the best way to ensure this without buying mystery hives at auction?

Last edited:
AS a start I would join the local bee association.. Members may have an overwintered nucs which they may sell. Better to get bees from your local area and the beekeeper may establish the colony in your hive, so you as a beginner do not have the job of transferring the bees from the nuc.

... this post is a question about whether it is possible to be set up with new hives, new colonies in time for the early apple blossom... i.e. by April-ish.

Different question.

... is it possible to be reasonably set up and buzzing by early april? That's my new question... and whats the best way to ensure this without buying mystery hives at auction?

No, not really.

If you are concerned about pollination for this coming Spring, you have left it way to late for DIY from zero, with zero prior experience and a reluctance to buy-in bees unseen.

For next Spring, see whether any of your fellow members of the local association would like to put one or more colonies in your orchard at blossom time.
And I'm sure the same folk will be very ready to help you get started with your own bees, shortly after.

For beekeeping, you will need to develop patience. Bees cannot be rushed. And you will need to learn their timescales. The winter is a great time to do that, especially before your own bees are setting you specific problems to identify and research!

I am NOT going to suggest that you should behave like a 'professional' bee farmer and import bees (possibly together with SHB) from abroad.

If you join your local association, you will not only be able to dip into the font of knowledge that undoubtedly exists there, but they will probably have a swarm list for newbies needing a 'leg up' onto the first rung of the beekeeping ladder

itma

Cool, question answered, so April is too early to have a local nuc put into a new hive, gotcha.

Like I said, the trees do just fine anyway, and I'll be happy to have bees all in good time, it just would have been nice to introduce

And I quite agree... winter is the best time for research... this 'ere is exactly what I'm doing.

Dadnlad

Cool... yes I of course, as I said, will be getting involved with my local association... but they weren't sat around my kitchen table like all you guys are (a virtual font no less), and I was just curious last night, wine in hand, if I would be able to catch my apple blossom before it blows away.

That's cool what you say about swarm list type things.... when's the earliest swarms start happening, roughly... and OF COURSE no doubt there's no rule and is weather dependent.

What's the earliest you've ever known swarms to start a'buzzin in your neck o' the woods?

Last edited:
itma

Cool, question answered, so April is too early to have a local nuc put into a new hive, gotcha.

Like I said, the trees do just fine anyway, and I'll be happy to have bees all in good time, it just would have been nice to introduce

And I quite agree... winter is the best time for research... this 'ere is exactly what I'm doing.

Not necessarily too early. Depends on the weather and the nucs.

My apple orchard is ignored by my bees as the rape flowers at the same time here and the bees go for that in preference to the apples which are pollinated by a tiny bee species.
Cazza

Cazza...

Aha... that's interesting... no oil seed rape here... but maybe I should be working more on habitats for tiny bees when it comes to apple trees!

And then honey bees just have a nice view from the hive, which they are welcome to ignore!

Latest posts

Back