Frige / Freezer as a warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My current warming cabinet is an insulated box with two 150w bulbs, controlled by an STC1000. It works well.
I have the chance of a fridge freezer. I would like to convert the fridge part into a warmer/cooler but leave the freezer part as a freezer.
I would add the bulbs and STC1000 as a heat source and maybe switch the mains via a relay for the cooling input.
Has anyone tried this? Is there a better way of doing this without affecting the freezer circuit. I would like to keep the freezer for sterilising frames.
Thanks

Suggest using tube bar heater rather than light bulbs and also incorporating a fan to the circuit

I use a small chest freezer I use for both. For warming I have a Stc1000 and a single 40w light bulb.
When I need freezer I just remove light bulb and thermometer and plug it in to mains.

A fan may not be necessary but it does prevent uneven heat distribution within the freezer and speeds up the process (in the same way that a fan oven requires lower temperature settings or less time). A DC fan from a redundant computer (you will need a AC/DC transformer) could be used or use a £12.99 AC fan from Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/80mm-240v-main-axial-fan-yp46a

The glass surface of light bulbs get very hot (so needs shielding) whereas the surface of a tube heater does not even though they may give out the same amount of heat

Last edited:
what temperature will a 40 watt lightbulb get your box up to?

I set the STC1000 to 45C, it takes half an hour to get up to that temperature. The light bulb is near the bottom with a piece of metal to shield the lining of the freezer.
Anything I am warming is on a 'shelf' above so not getting direct heat from bulb. Thermometer for STC is same level.

Last edited:
I set the STC1000 to 45C, it takes half an hour to get up to that temperature. The light bulb is near the bottom with a piece of metal to shield the lining of the freezer.
Anything I am warming is on a 'shelf' above so not getting direct heat from bulb. Thermometer for STC is same level.

sounds good, thanks for the info. I have an old freezer so a conversion to a warming cabinet beckons.

Suggest using tube bar heater rather than light bulbs and also incorporating a fan to the circuit

++! - A 12v computer fan with a transformer makes a huge amount of difference and costs next to nothing - tube heaters are £12 on Amazon and so much safer than light bulbs (and I think more efficient). No brainer.

Latest posts

Back