Freezing Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv101

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
nine 14x12
So I know freezing frames will kill off insect pests, like wax moth eggs - but is it good for anything else? Is there a definitive list of the potential ailments that a few days in the deep freeze will kill off and those that are unaffected by freezing? Does freezing kill of any bacterial or virus threats?

Reason I ask is that we have a -40C walk in freezer at work, which I may be able to use!

I am not sure if freezing would kill wax moth eggs. It might depend on the temp and for how long. And do wax moth overwinter as hibernating adults or eggs, or both?

I am guessing that freexing only kills wax moth larvae, and I would not bank on it killing much else.

There are two other choices - fumigation using sulphur strips, and fumigation with acetic acid.

I'm sure I have recently read that freezing overnight below -7 WILL kill the eggs.
Cazza

All life-cycle stages of the wax moth, including eggs, are killed by freezing at the following temperatures and times:
•- 6.7C at 4.5 hours
•-12.2C at 3 hours
•-15.0C at 2 hours.

It is important to commence timing of this treatment only when the hive material or apiary products have reached the recommended temperature. A number of hobby beekeepers have purchased small freezers and find freezing an excellent means of protecting their combs.

After freezing, the combs should be stored in a moth-proof environment to prevent re-infestation. Sealed, strong plastic garbage bags provide a good insect-proof storage environment.

Combs that have been frozen and then placed in untreated supers for storage are immediately at risk to infestation because the supers may contain wax moth eggs. It is best to treat the super and combs and then place them together in a sealed plastic bag.
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-insects/wax-moth-pest-of-combs-and-honey-bee-products

Latest posts

Back