Frame conversion kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"perversely they build their comb at right angles to the rest of the comb in the frame"

if you think about it although it is perverse in a literal sense it is perfectly normal and natural - the bees "see" a clear channel along hive between frame ends which is adequately sized for comb + bees space so they build across frame!

I had not considered the possible change from Langstroth to National. On the face of it, quite possible, but in practice, unlikely and fairly impracticable, except for those few who run just a handful of hives of mixed formats. And there are doubtless better ways to change a colony format, for those people!

It needs to be done at the sellers end, mostly, not the purchasers.

If I were selling National nucs, I don't think I would be running Langstroths in that way for that purpose.

Converting from one format to the other, is the kits designed use, not for running a colony, or colonies, with these extras added to each frame. For a start, more dead space in the hive - bee spaces with no production possibility, just extra space to heat, extra fiddling with frame additions.

OK I must admit it - they are ideal for anyone who wishes to make their beekeeping harder work than necessary.

Regards, RAB

I had not considered the possible change from Langstroth to National. On the face of it, quite possible, but in practice, unlikely and fairly impracticable, except for those few who run just a handful of hives of mixed formats. And there are doubtless better ways to change a colony format, for those people!

It needs to be done at the sellers end, mostly, not the purchasers.

If I were selling National nucs, I don't think I would be running Langstroths in that way for that purpose.

Converting from one format to the other, is the kits designed use, not for running a colony, or colonies, with these extras added to each frame. For a start, more dead space in the hive - bee spaces with no production possibility, just extra space to heat, extra fiddling with frame additions.

OK I must admit it - they are ideal for anyone who wishes to make their beekeeping harder work than necessary.

Regards, RAB

I agree with the sentiments expressed. The reason I am using them is I wanted to try Langstroth and poly (I already have national poly) before I made a decision on them for my own uses.

The current colony that is incumbent in the Jumbo Langstroth nuc was a swarm I collected and at the time I did not have a spare 14 x 12 Brood box nor Langstroth Frames. So this colony ended up with a bit of mix and match with my main preference being getting the Poly Nuc occupied.

My next Langstroth colony will be on Plastic frames. No pre concieved views at this stage. I will try them later this year via either a shook swarm or a collected swarm dependent on the condition of my stocks in the Spring.

Then at some stage, I will make up my mind where I will be heading ref hardware with the greatest change possibly going from 14 x 12 Cedar to Langstroth Poly on Plastic frames. I will decide after I have tried it.

Latest posts

Back