Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing issues with getting wired foundation at the moment (specifically dadant shallow).

Had an order with pa*** for two weeks called them a few times don't seem to be able to tell me when its due in, with all this hot weather forecast its getting me worried that I should have done it sooner.

On a side note some frames were 50% capped there is a possibility some of it could be OSR already done the shake tests and no fresh nectar, been waiting 3 weeks now for them to cap it all. Last year I took it off a lot quickly but knew for certain it was OSR. If it's 50% capped is it worth taking off now?

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing issues with getting wired foundation at the moment (specifically dadant shallow).

Had an order with pa*** for two weeks called them a few times don't seem to be able to tell me when its due in, with all this hot weather forecast its getting me worried that I should have done it sooner.

On a side note some frames were 50% capped there is a possibility some of it could be OSR already done the shake tests and no fresh nectar, been waiting 3 weeks now for them to cap it all. Last year I took it off a lot quickly but knew for certain it was OSR. If it's 50% capped is it worth taking off now?

No idea about foundation, still using up my stock from 2yrs ago!

If the frames pass the shake test, personally I would take it off.
If you have a refractometer even better as you can test pre-extraction.

No idea about foundation, still using up my stock from 2yrs ago!

If the frames pass the shake test, personally I would take it off.
If you have a refractometer even better as you can test pre-extraction.

Ok great looks like 4-5 supers coming off the weekend then. Could always bucket them and then take lids off and put them in a room with dymindfier running just not tried this yet!

I have a refractometer but I buggered it up before I even tested the first honey as the adjustment knob was loose. I have some extra virgin olive oil at home but not attempted to try calibrate it scares me slightly as if I do it wrong im gonna think I've taken honey off too soon!

I would buy some calibration oil from Brunell.

Get a de-humidifier leave it running through the stacked suppers. You can stack them up with two chairs if need be, or on the edge of a chest freezer, put a crown board on top to help force the air around. Also remove the porter bee escapes from the crown board to let a controlled amount of air escape.

Once extracted, return them to the hives.

I took a few supers off a couple of weeks ago as I was pretty sure it was OSR and didn't want it setting in the combs again, thankyou very much. Very little was capped- I tested some at home with the refractometer and some of the uncapped was down to about 16% moisture.

I think there had been a flow which stopped when the weather turned. Any cells which were not full were left uncapped. I suspect that, for want of anything else to do when the weatehr was bad, they kept drying it.

Hi,

Heard there was a bit of a shortage, gone back to making our own so not having any waiting for foundation problems.

Heard there was a bit of a shortage, gone back to making our own so not having any waiting for foundation problems.

I heard that one supplier had problems with their wax melter and that it had broken in such a way to contaminate the wax with oil.

I had no problems getting my national deep and shallow foundation From CWJ (wired and unwired) last week - ordered Tuesday morning arrived Friday. They also seem to have plenty of dadant foundation - on special offer as well at the moment!

I had no problems getting my national deep and shallow foundation From CWJ (wired and unwired) last week - ordered Tuesday morning arrived Friday. They also seem to have plenty of dadant foundation - on special offer as well at the moment!

Thanks ordered some as a backup plan roughly same price as original order, turned out that pay** are awaiting swienty delivery too so now the supers are holding it up! On the plus side at least dulux had some exterior gloss paint so im armed with that when they do arrive.

Surprised nobody's mentioned buying wax from Peter Kemble at KBS. His wax is good, he's reliable.

Back