Found photos of my first cut out from 2010

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minature_hero

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Found photos of my first ever cut out from 2010 and thought you might like to see the pictures. The bees were chewing their way through a fibreboard wall on the inside of a dorma window. It was a pretty big house and I don't think the owners live in all of it so hadn't noticed our winged friends and there were quite a few dead bees that had got trapped in the window.

Me and my brother did a survey of the situation and returned asap which I think was a couple of days later, we boarded over the hole and left the window open a crack so others could get out in the meantime.

On our return it was down with the dust sheets and a gentle smoking through the hole in the fibre board before we gently removed it. We found underneath lovely bright yellow wax, obviously a recent swarm had found its home there. The cut out was fairly simple after that, we just followed a bit of JPTheBeeman tutorial (do a search on youtube if you have never seen him in action!). Bees followed the brood as expected once we propped the hive on the ladder. We went for a cuppa and on our return I happened to find the queen on the dustsheet! BONUS! In the end they did really well, the homeowner who my brother gardens for was pleased to be bee free in his house and we had an extra colony to look after. Hope you enjoy the pics!

Yes it was lovely, its an incredible instinct, built so accurately. We managed to save allmost all of the brood comb and fed them a little to replace the honey stores we cut out. That was a sticky job!!

Comb to admire, indeed.

If you'll pardon the basic question, how did you determine just which panel they were living behind?

Easy!

They were coming out this hole they had chewed in the fibrebaord and getting stuck at the window.

:iagree: Beautiful, Great pics

Back