Found a colony in the garden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milfoil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone. I am new here and have never kept bees before BUT, wanted to for some years now and even went on a local (Lancaster NW UK) beginners bee keeping course last year but with one thing and another (in the middle of building a house) I knew I couldn't offer the time this last 12 months to keeping a hive so I left it. Well, it seems that the bees are not going to wait and have come to me!

Hanging from a bush are 3 combs and a small colony but the site is unsafe, can't be defended from predators (and the wasps will be around in a few months) and definitely won't survive the winter.

So, with no kit (yet) and no hive, what do you suggest is the first step apart from contacting my local beekeeping soc for some help (already done - waiting for them to get back to me). Having a few opinions and options seems like a good idea so I thought I would come and ask you guys.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I would find a forum member local to you who would be happy to do a cut out for you into empty frames with a few elastic bands and hive them.

Like this:

Thank you for such a swift reply. I remember reading about this. All I need now is some frames and a hive and gloves, and a suit and a smoker and . . .. and . ..

That's an unusual sight, but it is a strange year.

From what I can see in your photos, it does look like the colony is small. -There do not seem to be very many bees for that much comb. Maybe they have suffered losses in the cold and windy weather.

You will be doing them a good turn by putting them in a cosy hive. I hope it goes well. :)

this time of year you will probably struggle to find kit fast(well an omlet beehause is probably in stock :eek: ) unless somebody local has bought too much.

milfoil,

Wow!

I've never come across anything like that...as Admin suggests you really should get in contact with your local Beekeepers Assn. because they'll also be pleased to get involved.

(nice photos)

richard

Nope, I've read several books, lots of sites on the net but never seen anything so out in the open before, not in the UK. Glad I didn't go any further clipping the hedge!

Hello

Wonderful introduction to beekeeping!! Better than mine which was to go off to hospital in an ambulance with full blown anyphalactic shock? Still- dont let that put you off!

My advice would be to prepare as much as possible. Bit difficult i know but two issues you need to bone up on are: hive type - have you any idea what type would best suit you? If you do, you could order some frames. Your local assoc. should be able to loan you gear to get the bees hived. When they contact you you can discuss this important early decision.

Also location - keeping them where they are? You should consider minimum of two hives for flexibility and backup. Got the space? Cleared? Got the correct location?

Good luck and keep the feedback/photos coming?

Regards

Fred

I needed to buy a hive quickly. Mod*rn Beekeeping claim to be able to deliver next dayish, but only ordered it yesterday so we shall see. Tho*ns and M**smore are quoting a three weeks for a hive IIRC.

Great picture - wish you all the best
L

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I would find a forum member local to you who would be happy to do a cut out for you into empty frames with a few elastic bands and hive them.

Like this:

As a matter of interest when 'trimming' wild comb to fit in a frame with string or rubber band has anyone any strong ideas on whether to trim it longways (top to bottom) and then mount it in the frame so that in the hive it is at right angles to its original orientation, or to cut it horizontally and mount sections side by side but with the top at the top.

With the first method the natural upwards slope of the cells is presumably lost..

Steve

if you need a hive fast try wynne jones, ive ordered a hive this friday and its was here monday morning, next day delievery,

As a matter of interest when 'trimming' wild comb to fit in a frame with string or rubber band has anyone any strong ideas on whether to trim it longways (top to bottom) and then mount it in the frame so that in the hive it is at right angles to its original orientation, or to cut it horizontally and mount sections side by side but with the top at the top.

With the first method the natural upwards slope of the cells is presumably lost..

Steve

I would keep it the same way up. Comb is not symmetrical, it's quite subtly engineered.

I've read several books, lots of sites on the net but never seen anything so out in the open before, not in the UK.

Is that right? Relatively rare to build in the open but is not that uncommon. This site. Last year. This link.

http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75854&highlight=cherry+picker#post75854

RAB

Blimey, that was high up! Thankfully this one is at eye level and easy to get to. I am pretty worried that it is WAY too small and may struggle but lets see. With no help it won't survive anyway so nothing is lost.

I am very fortunate to have a local stockist (Honeycomb Company Ltd) in Galgate so now I am the proud owner of a basic National hive a smoker and hat/veil. The rest I can make or get together from other sources. I managed to speak to a few people from the local beekeepers soc and once I have the hive built someone is coming along to help me get this little lot into their new home.

Very glad to have found such a friendly and helpful forum. :)

if you need a hive fast try wynne jones, ive ordered a hive this friday and its was here monday morning, next day delievery,
:iagree:
Great service and quick delivery, bought some economy hive parts from them a few weeks ago arrived next day, nothing at all wrong with the quality of the timber - good deals on frames as well

Well . . . as expected, what's left of this swarm is not enough to be viable so the middle comb with some brood is going to a local beek so they will stand half a chance and I will start proper next year rather than rushing into things.

Aww i'm so sorry Milfoil. If you are ever down manchester way, you are more than welcome to come and help out with an inspection so you get a bee fix. If I can arrange a meeting that is, because god forbid I go in the bees alone! lol

Latest posts

Back