Footwear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which type of footwear do you use for beekeeping

• Wellington Boots

Votes: 212 66.0%
  • Rigger or similar leather boots

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • Walking boots

Votes: 29 9.0%
  • Shoes/Trainers

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Boots or shoes with gaiters

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Other (any barefoot beekeepers!)

Votes: 12 3.7%

• Total voters

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
Having killed two pairs of wellies in the last nine months I was just wondering what type of footwear others favour for beekeeping? Oh and if anyone can recommend any good long lasting wellies I'd be obliged :)

The cheapest type are the same as Phil Chandler has.

The best in my opinion are Hunter wellies.
I just go to the local cheap shoe shop and pay a fiver for a pair that last a few years.

I used to wear trainers but after several hits on my ankle last year :willy_nilly: I now wear hiking style boots with ankle support or wellies.

I'm in wellies alot through the year, and wear leather lined chameau (STUPIDLY expensive but i got them of ebay for a quater what they are new.)

I have had them 4 years now and to be fair barely notice that they are more than a season old.

Wellies are what i wear for the vast majority of all my manipulations.

I wear riggers boots, because my feet get to breath a bit, unlike in Wellington boots, which is a bit too much like wearing Marigolds on the feet.

How do you manage to kill two pairs of Wellie's in a year Non-standard? When I retired mine I had owned them for several years, but only one for beekeeping.

Wellies - Hunters - you gets what you pays for, £55 for recent purchase but the previous pair lasted for 30 years so didn't owe me anything. And I find them much less sweaty than trainers. Winter I wear a pair of Bama footie things inside and never get cold feet.

I put wellys but i do use trainers, it depends on weather time of year and what i'm up to... i had wellys on today checking fondant, the field was wet and muddy.

I wear riggers boots, because my feet get to breath a bit, unlike in Wellington boots, which is a bit too much like wearing Marigolds on the feet.

How do you manage to kill two pairs of Wellie's in a year Non-standard? When I retired mine I had owned them for several years, but only one for beekeeping.

I have spent years wearing riggers and work boots for my job, but bought a 20 quid pair of wellies when I started beekeeping in May last year. We also adopted a dog at roughly the same time so the boots were used for walking him in the wet as well as beekeeping duties; they lasted until this autumn when they split on the top of the foot. I then spent another 20 pounds on a more trendy but seemingly well built pair just before the bad weather this winter and they lasted barely a month before meeting the fate, needless to say they were returned for a full refund.

I do have a pair of riggers I am using at the moment but they are not waterproof so long wet grass = wet feet. I would like to track down some local Hunter Argylls as I had a pair when I was younger that lasted many years, in fact I lost them before I wore them out. I need to buy local as I have an added complication of being borderline between an 11 or 12 meaning I really need to try before I buy. A farmer friend swears by Dunlop Puroforts so I may investigate them, especially as he wears them all day and finds them very comfortable.

Wellies - Hunters - you gets what you pays for, £55 for recent purchase but the previous pair lasted for 30 years so didn't owe me anything. And I find them much less sweaty than trainers. Winter I wear a pair of Bama footie things inside and never get cold feet.

Ah, but Hunters are no longer made in Scotland, so it remains to be seen what the quality is like.

The wellies I use at the allotment are green (yuck) Hunters, but they are cracking boots. Wouldn't pay the price for them, mind, as they were a present.

Well, actually, they were part of a PR campaign, actually by Scottish Equitable about five years ago.

Ah, but Hunters are no longer made in Scotland, so it remains to be seen what the quality is like.

The wellies I use at the allotment are green (yuck) Hunters, but they are cracking boots. Wouldn't pay the price for them, mind, as they were a present.

Well, actually, they were part of a PR campaign, actually by Scottish Equitable about five years ago.

Yes, it would appear that Hunters are now made in China and are now no longer as durable as the old Scottish made ones.

Think they're called Garden Shoes, sort of like sawn off wellies. Protect well against sheep poo etc but not so much faff as full blown wellies. No problem with stinging as I normally wear overalls on top of jeans.

I use gaiters from sheriffs when dry, weird fish wellies when wet, go for one size bigger with wellies so if your feet are hot they come off easier.

John

i brought my wellies from B and Q about 3 years back i use them in the winter for hunting and beekeeping evertime i open a hive( got stung on the angles too many time :) )and they are showing no signs of spliting yet

Wychwood Neoprene boot. Lovely and comfortable and easy to get on and off.

However, there appears to be a manufacturing fault where the right heel become detached. Know a number of people who have had this problem and have moved over to Muck Boots.

Ah, Nonstandard, it would seem that with your rather large size in footweare that is perhaps the nub of the problem. Greater surface area, but no additional thickness in the material.

I agree about the wet feet in long wet grass, but put up with it. I should really oil or dubin the boots to give them that extra little bit of resilience to wet grass. I guess that you are also quite a bit taller and heavier than myself too, so understandably harder on your boots.

I'll leave the comparisons there . . . ha ha.

............ weird fish wellies when wet.................

John

John, they were the ones that lasted barely a month, I bought some nice trendy grey ones from TK MAXX (other outlets are available) and wore them for walking the dog through the snow before Christmas and a couple of sledging trips with the kids before the rubber(?) on the top of the feet crazed and split.

Latest posts

Back