fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have given up on making it, lol i even worked in a bakery for 3 yrs.
I ended up with a powdery type mix and lots of sugar stuck to the bottom of the pan.
I went to the bakery where i use to work(27 yrs ago mind) and bought it £13.00 :)

I've a couple of colonies on 6 frames with not a lot of stores, so I guess it would be a good idea to add fondant, but how much should I add? I can check later how much they used, but what is a reasonable amount to start with?

I think that if you chop a block into six slices, that it is a convenient size, divisible by your two colonies and potentially saves waste.

A handy idea for storage and serving, is in empty 1 litre juice cartons. Make a cut at the top, side and bottom to produce a box with a lid flap. The fondant will flow over time in storage and so will be restrained conveniently by the box until you need it. A bit of tape, elastic band, string or what-have-you will keep the boxes closed while on the shelf.

If vertical space is restricted slice it long ways (gets to be a bit more of a struggle) and wrap in cling film. Slash the film before putting on a crown board or top bars. Placed on the top bars, if there is too much and the bees don't eat it, it will flow between the bars and be a right royal pain to remove in the spring.

Bako costs £10.08 per 12.5kg and my 15 blocks arrive on Monday having been ordered on Friday. Not bad.

PH

PH, Bako seem to be charging you more for this fondant than i pay? £8.95..delivered,was even cheaper last month.

Latest posts

Back