Following Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitochondrial DNA is passed to male and female offspring exclusively through the female line. Hence, tracing H. sapiens populations back to a "primordial eve" who lived somewhere in the African savannah xxx years ago.

A DNA match is not made from sex chromosomes alone or, indeed, necessarily or at all.

Bio-diversity and all that. Is what I wrote.

Bio-diversity is not the same as genetic variation within a species. is what another wrote.

They continued : Not preaching and followed with: Biodiversity is of course in part the result of the processes of evolution, mutation and natural selection but is NOT equivalent. That was the point i was making. and just for no apparent reason other than they perhaps read that particular paper: But - i hope that BF isn't going to turn out like the Daily Mail website with a few individuals with a little education thinking that they know best.

Well, well! I seem to be in good company. See Jamie Ellis, PhD, Department of Entomology and Nematology, University of Florida, Beecraft, this month, page 11, 3rd column, 3rd paragragh, lines 7-9.

Quote: But the real answer lies in biodiversity. If a queen mates with multiple male bees, then her offspring carry many traits.

Just goes to show not all are not blinkered by the Daily Mail views, apparently.

I am more than happy to be in the same bracket as the gentleman from Florida.

RAB

Biodiversity

Oliver - lets agree to differ on this. OK the coverall UN touchy feely definition of Biodiversity now seems to encompass all levels of variation within a system of whatever size.

Howver, as a geneticist/molecular biologist by training, i regard intra-species variation differently to diversity on other levels. Genetic diversity and biodiversity are interdependent but not the same.

think about it - what is more diverse - an ecosystem containing 100 unrelated groups of one species OR an ecosystem made up of 100 groups of different species?

Gene pool is a much better term.

Latest posts

Back