flymo

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Neighbour has a petrol flymo hover mower for sale which I might buy.
Are these mowers any good for cutting very long grass? This is a beekeeping question because the very long grass in question is in my apiary. I have previously used a brush cutter, but a hover mower might be better. In my youth, I spent a summer cutting grass on a camp site and I seem to remember the hover mowers just stalled when the grass was too long.

Neighbour has a petrol flymo hover mower for sale which I might buy.
Are these mowers any good for cutting very long grass? This is a beekeeping question because the very long grass in question is in my apiary. I have previously used a brush cutter, but a hover mower might be better. In my youth, I spent a summer cutting grass on a camp site and I seem to remember the hover mowers just stalled when the grass was too long.

Not even a decent quality strimmer can deal with very long grass and will sometimes get choked. I can't see how a hover will deal with very long grass, but if you used it more regularly, a petrol mower would be useful.

I don't have good memories of trying to cut longish grass with a hover (wheel-free) mower. They seem to be designed for smooth ground and shortish grass.

A wheeled version is more flexible for longer grass.
But if its knee-high, the brushcutter is the way to begin!

I have used a petrol flymo to chop down all sorts, including knee length grass. I don't think an electric one would be up to it though.

If you use the flymo to cut part of the cutting width at a time it will cut almost anything.
However be careful of going over stones or other hard objects on full power. A friend left a plug spanner in the grass and found it after it was thrown out through the balde shroud!

Latest posts

Back