Fitting of castellations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boywonder

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quick question on super castellations. On my own supers, I simply pin the castellations to the inside of the box. Given the pre-drilled holes, and the ease with which I can pull these off and e.g. replace with runners, I would think this is what most people do (?).

Maybe I'm mistaken.

Over the last couple of years, I have inherited some supers (both from more experienced beekeepers) where the castellations are embedded into the side of the box. Runners have been left in situ.

Attached is a photo (the box is in a sorry state, and needs cleaning up, I know).

PXL_20210418_181916149.jpg

Is this normal ? If so, a) will the castellations have been slotted into pre-existing rebates, or are they just hammered in ? (Presumably the former) ... and, b) how will they be fixed in place (if at all) ??

I ask mainly as I want to refurbish the boxes, and want therefore to remove the castellations. I am speculating as to whether I just need to grip and pull with pliers.

Also, I'm keen to know if this is common technique. I think I might be right in saying that both these old boys used mainly Thornes kit, and that it's 25 years old, or more.

Experience welcome. Cheers.

Also, I'm keen to know if this is common technique. I think I might be right in saying that both these old boys used mainly Thornes kit, and that it's 25 years old, or more.
I've seen it a few times - people just find it easier to slot the castellations in the 'gap' between the rails and the boards, so that they can change for different castellation numbers or leave out altogether and use the runners. Don't like the idea personally, I just tack them to the sides of the boxes - they're never going to come out with me in any case.

Is this normal ? If so, a) will the castellations have been slotted into pre-existing rebates, or are they just hammered in ? (Presumably the former) ... and, b) how will they be fixed in place (if at all) ??

I have supers from various sources and the Thorne's normal price supers are the only ones to have a slot cut in for castellations to be inserted. Their budget ones don't.

Thanks. I presume they are just slotted in (Finnan, I'm not that stupid), but I was just wondering... before I use brute force.

I too (JBM) initially thought they must be slotted between the board and the rail, but on closer inspection, they seem to be embedded in the board itself... which made me wonder whether the boards came out of the factory that way (an old 'Thornes-ism' ??).

Equally, both were longstanding members of the Leicestershire association... but back in the Dave Cushman days, so even if this is a local practice, I'd have thought it might be more widespread. Maybe it is.

Ahhhh, sorry Woodland Bees - crossed posts. Would seem to be a Thornes thing then.

Strange, I have had T's boxes before, but obviously not the spec which includes that feature.

Thanks for clearing it up. Anyhow, pliers are coming out :)

I presume rails are left in situ, and castellations can be slotted in at-will... Is the idea

Think people either love them or hate castellations. I’ve just put them into all my super boxes, having previously used comb spacers on lugs which the spacing isnt optimum and can rattle around in transportation I’ve found.

I have WBCs mainly so I fitted 10s for drawing comb and 9s for drawn comb
as found the 8 spacing too wide. Add one comb for Nationals

Had a bit of mare of a time trying to get the castellations to fit in the grooves properly. Other half (who made up the boxes) said the supers were a stupid design, until I pointed out were the nails in not quite the right place, so had straddled the groove? Didn’t go down well. You’ll find out if your boxes have been well made when trying this!

Think the benefits are if you have out apiaries the supers are easier to transport without damaging the combs - which is why I’ve decided to try it. Only issue will be switching the 10s down to 9s once drawn when you can’t simply slide them down the runners. Have to switch boxes.
Be interested to hear how you get on!

I have supers from various sources and the Thorne's normal price supers are the only ones to have a slot cut in for castellations to be inserted. Their budget ones don't.
agreed. All my new brood boxes are Maisemore and Thornes seconds which don’t have the slots. I've a couple of really old brood boxes I picked up when I started a couple of years back that have the slots. Didn’t use the slots when I fitted 10 frame castellations this year as they were a bit knackered. Just pinned them to the inside of the runners, same as the second brood boxes.

I recently bought some budget boxes from Thornes and asked for castellations. When I went to fit the castellations they were about 6 mm to long. I rang T and was told I had been sent the wrong castellations. The ones I had were for standard boxes which fitted into the horizontal slots and tucked into vertices slots at the ends.
I've had to snip off the ends with tin snips!

Latest posts

Back