First sting of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clare,

Bees don't like strong odours like garlic breath or alcohol, not that I'm suggesting your mother falls into that category, but scented hair products may be an issue.

Does she have 'big' hair that the bees can get tangled in? Mine's only about half an inch long apart from the front where its's noticeably absent :D and the bees just bounce off if I get in the way.

havent been stoung yet would like to get the first one over and dun with lol

Jallen, I've never been stung by anything ever in my life, and I know what you mean about wanting it to be over with, because I know some day it has to happen. Still, I make sure I'm covered top to toe everytime I do anything with the bees. I am not scared of them anymore, which is wonderful, but I am not going to put myself at risk of being stung if I can help it. I intend to become Britains first ever phobic beekeeper who has never been stung in their beekeeping career. Lets see how long that lasts :leaving:

Jallen, I've never been stung by anything ever in my life, and I know what you mean about wanting it to be over with, because I know some day it has to happen. Still, I make sure I'm covered top to toe everytime I do anything with the bees. I am not scared of them anymore, which is wonderful, but I am not going to put myself at risk of being stung if I can help it. I intend to become Britains first ever phobic beekeeper who has never been stung in their beekeeping career. Lets see how long that lasts :leaving:

How do you know if you are sensitive to bee stings or not? You could be sitting on a time bomb.

Go get stung, get it out the way. It really doesnt hurt that much, people just make a big deal out of it

How do you know if you are sensitive to bee stings or not? You could be sitting on a time bomb.

Go get stung, get it out the way. It really doesnt hurt that much, people just make a big deal out of it

I don't know, that's just the thing! I make sure I take antihistamines before I go just in case, and I understand a severe reaction is very rare so I'm not stressing about it. I am a wimp though, so I will take my stinging as it comes, but will try my damnedest to avoid it.

I don't know, that's just the thing! I make sure I take antihistamines before I go just in case, and I understand a severe reaction is very rare so I'm not stressing about it. I am a wimp though, so I will take my stinging as it comes, but will try my damnedest to avoid it.

I got stung bad the other day. Mitsubishi charged me £180 for a new truck key!

Not even by a wasp, Kazmcc? Can't remember my last bee sting clearly but it shouldn't feel much worse than a collision with a stinging nettle as long as it's on a limb (not your face) and you're not allergic. BTW found what I thought was a dead Queen Wasp in the garden yesterday and was having a good close look at her when she unfurled her legs and began to wake up. Arrgh! Rather swiftly and permanently despatched, I'm afraid.

Not even by a wasp, Kazmcc? Can't remember my last bee sting clearly but it shouldn't feel much worse than a collision with a stinging nettle as long as it's on a limb (not your face) and you're not allergic. BTW found what I thought was a dead Queen Wasp in the garden yesterday and was having a good close look at her when she unfurled her legs and began to wake up. Arrgh! Rather swiftly and permanently despatched, I'm afraid.

Not even a wasp. Remember, if it buzzed I would run screaming lol, so they never got close enough, apart from the one that crawled across my eyelid when I was very little, I don't know if that was a bee or a wasp though. I am still very scared of wasps tbh, and if I saw a queen would probably pass out. I'm still nervous near other peoples bees. My own don't bother me in the slightest anymore. I'm a bit odd like that lol, but they are very good bees and I know their behaviour. To think I was terrified as of last summer though I think I'm doing very well indeed. :)

Think you are! Keeping bees must be like taking on the world; what courage!
:hurray:

Thanks, I got into beekeeping in a very strange sort of way, almost dragged to my first hive visit. From there I was hooked.......terrified, but hooked :D

Sounds strange but I wonder if you can get patch tested for bee stings, i'm sure if you told them that you were a beek that they might make allowances and as they won't issue epipens unless you have a proven severe reaction to them. Failing that I guess you could always visit some bees with a friend in their car who is less than 15 mins from a hospital and then get stung on a finger say. That way A. it shouldn't hurt too much, B. your not far from medical help and C. your with a friend who can get you to said medical help should a problem arise.

I think you are very brave for taking on beekeeping pherhaps the best way to overcome a fear of buzzy insects. Maybe if you get a sting over and done with then you will pherhaps feel happier with other peoples bees and your own should they (god forbid) ever develop a nasty side.

Sounds strange but I wonder if you can get patch tested for bee stings, i'm sure if you told them that you were a beek that they might make allowances and as they won't issue epipens unless you have a proven severe reaction to them. Failing that I guess you could always visit some bees with a friend in their car who is less than 15 mins from a hospital and then get stung on a finger say. That way A. it shouldn't hurt too much, B. your not far from medical help and C. your with a friend who can get you to said medical help should a problem arise.

I think you are very brave for taking on beekeeping pherhaps the best way to overcome a fear of buzzy insects. Maybe if you get a sting over and done with then you will pherhaps feel happier with other peoples bees and your own should they (god forbid) ever develop a nasty side.

I know what you mean. From what I can make out the following queen from a hawiian carni can be pretty temperamental lol, and I understand they can be pretty lively when queenless, all these things I have yet to experience....although when I did the sencond dose of ApiLife, they weren't too impressed. Now I know what people mean when they say the "poured out of the hive"! They were bombing me! One got wedged inside the packet in my hand such was their indignation! I'm lucky as I live less than a mile from Manchester Royal Infirmary, so if I need help, it's on my doorstep. My doctor isn't interested. He refused to accept there is a sensitivity issue regarding Ibuprofen, stating that this is what they'd prescribe for a bee sting so wouldn't cause any sensitivity during use. Saying that, I know allergy is rare, but still I am not taking any chances. Regarding getting stung, I will just let nature take it's course. I'm sure it will happen one day. I am never alone when tending the bees, so if I am one of the extremely unlucky ones then will have help on hand. The thought of deliberatley allowing myself to be stung does not appeal in the slightest.

Got first sting of the year at the weekend. While changing floors. Stung in the thigh through jeans. Leg swollen from groin to knee, pretty red colour and oozing nicely. Doctor thinks infection and handed out the Anti B's

Whilst it's important to be aware of the risks of a severe reaction I think it's one of those things that can be blown out of proportion. I know plenty of beekeepers and I've never heard of anyone with first-hand experience of someone having a really bad reaction. (Cue deluge of replies with evidence to the contrary!)

Just been to check the hive i look after for someone anticipated my first sting of the year as They are a good sized colony and last time I went in was for the move back in October from Rock to St Kew, They managed to get me good and proper in that move and wouldnt have been suprised if they tried again! However all was well behaved - sort of.

Can understand those waiting for their first sting, I can remember that feeling, Wore off after the first 5 of the year!!! Think each sting can be differant though with regard to reaction, I had one that did make me feel woozy, but the next day I had 6 in a matter of minutes from the same hive and no effect at all, infact the least ichy of all my stings?

Latest posts

Back