First sting of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close shave at least ya will know for again.

Steve:smilielol5:

Happened to me last year - on the eyebrow. Just seemed a bit red at the time, then my eye closed up overnight. Take some anti histamine if you have it.

I never go near my bees without a veil now - one colony requeened last year and are a wee bit "lively".

I've got one of those hats with a veil which i slip on when i need to mow near the hives or give them a heft.
I know i wouldn't bother donning a full suit for the little jobs so with my hat at least my face is protected.

Darren.

I've got one of those hats with a veil which i slip on when i need to mow near the hives or give them a heft.
I know i wouldn't bother donning a full suit for the little jobs so with my hat at least my face is protected.

Darren.

Ditto - only mine is so old that I was laughed at when fellow beeks saw me wear it.
Cazza

I'm still guilty of wandering around my hives without ppe, not recommended.

The girls don't seem to pay me any attention even those psycotic ones oot by. Very strange bees those ones. You can wander around them and check out the pollen intake and they just examine you and then leave you alone. However, once suit is donned, smoker is in hand and I invite myself into the hoose, all hell breaks loose. Very clean bees, build up quickly and produce a good crop of honey but a bit swarmy. Always the last colony inspected at that apiary and still undecided what to do with them. I Re-Queened last year to see if that would calm them down a bit. They took to her until she started laying then they started building lots of queen cells, 11 on one frame! Some colonies I think are just built that way.

i tried many years ago with no kit on to to feed some fondant to my 20 hives, its winter so they ant flying, quick lift of the lid and plop in the fondant and then replace the lids, simples.

did 16 got to number 17 , they were waiting for me big style, before the lid was off i was stung 4 times, dropped the foundant , lid and knocked the hive over , whilst trying to run away screaming like a little girl.

went home came back fully suited, rebuilt that hive fed the rest went home to lick my wounds, never done it since

i tried many years ago with no kit on to to feed some fondant to my 20 hives...

Not sure I really wish to contemplate the idea of HP playing with his hives in the altogether! I thought this was a family forum!

First Sting of the year

Well last of last year really !.
Like a pillock (is there a double L in pillock) I went to clear some of the dead bees out from the hives,no suit on , all no problem until the last hive, stuck the hive tool in the entrance and blow me, two seconds later there was one of the little dears up my sleave. So celebrated new Years eve with a pack of peas on my arm !!!!!!!!!!! the booze took the pain away, for medicinal purposes only !

dave W

A very experienced beekeeper in our association described to me how he was met at the apiary gate one day, as soon as he opened the car door he was stung on the eyelid!

He said that every time he blinked he could feel the sting scratching over his eyeball! :eek:

I'm not sure how you can protect against that, apart from re-queening.

i tried many years ago with no kit on to to feed some fondant to my 20 hives, its winter so they ant flying, quick lift of the lid and plop in the fondant and then replace the lids, simples.

did 16 got to number 17 , they were waiting for me big style, before the lid was off i was stung 4 times, dropped the foundant , lid and knocked the hive over , whilst trying to run away screaming like a little girl.

went home came back fully suited, rebuilt that hive fed the rest went home to lick my wounds, never done it since

Hedgerow you have had me crying with laughter at the image that conjured up!

sorry but i found that soooooooo funny. do you want to guess why i NEVER go to my bees without a veil on, been there done that
Been there, done that , cost me £100 for a replacement hearing aid :mad:
Dug a bee from down my ear hole, swiped at her mate having a go!, in doing so I flicked my hearing aid into the long grass , never found it and if I do it'll be a write off :rant:

John W.

havent been stoung yet would like to get the first one over and dun with lol

havent been stoung yet would like to get the first one over and dun with

Not trying very hard then, are we?

RAB

My Mum was stung on my behalf!

A swarm caught last year and homed in my parents garden, we needed to move back off the lawn onto the flower bed so on Tuesday we finally moved it back 2 feet, I called my Mum the next day to have a look at it and make sure they could find the new entrance, she called back to say they were fine but...................... she had been stung in her hair.
That is the third time she has been stung in her hair from that hive, no one else has been touched by them!
I think it is her hairspray/hair product what do you think?
Clare

Latest posts

Back