First sting of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Following my systemic reaction to a wasp sting, being told not to pick up any more bee stings, and issued with an Epipen I was stung through the veil on my chin as I pulled one frame in the middle of the brood nest, looking for brood in preparation for OA dribbling. They weren't well pleased. In addition I had hell of a job getting the frame back and did want to finish the job so couldn't stop to get the stinger out, so got the full dose. Started to swell on one side of my face, thick lip, red check and one of my eyes started to close. An hour later after taking one piriton tablet, 10mg of steroids, antihistamine cream and cold compresses on my my face and eye I was miraculously as good as new. I assume the steroids played a large part in this and wondered if all beekeepers should have them at hand together with the antihistamines.

I think beekeepers would do better not pulling apart a brood nest at this time of year and therefore avoid the need altogether ;)
Really need a long cold spell prior to dribbling in your hive, three weeks for brood to hatch, what was the weather like three weeks ago??? The last few days would have caused the bees to cluster up nicely but I still wouldn’t think of dribbling in three weeks time - global warming huh :cool:
Something to be said for the vape if you suspect a mite issue.

What were the steroids you took? A double dose of antihistamines has done the trick for my (so far) one “bad reaction” - which was first sting of the 2020 season.

I think beekeepers would do better not pulling apart a brood nest at this time of year and therefore avoid the need altogether
:iagree:
Really need a long cold spell prior to dribbling in your hive,
I'm afraid that cold weather (or lack of) has little effect on brooding really - this is just another 'fact' that we've been blindly following without really questioning. Regardless of weather LASI found that the best time to find colonies broodless is early to mid December (weather regardless) and once the solstice has passed bees will begin brooding in even the hardest of frosts.

Always happy to be corrected 👍
Admittedly should have specified daylight hours..........and minimal brood..........and cold weather😁
And not strayed from the original question.........nope I don’t carry or use steroids for bee stings. Magical medication for all sorts but don’t think the profession are keen to over prescribe - in my naive opinion.

Last edited:
Following my systemic reaction to a wasp sting, being told not to pick up any more bee stings, and issued with an Epipen I was stung through the veil on my chin as I pulled one frame in the middle of the brood nest, looking for brood in preparation for OA dribbling. They weren't well pleased. In addition I had hell of a job getting the frame back and did want to finish the job so couldn't stop to get the stinger out, so got the full dose. Started to swell on one side of my face, thick lip, red check and one of my eyes started to close. An hour later after taking one piriton tablet, 10mg of steroids, antihistamine cream and cold compresses on my my face and eye I was miraculously as good as new. I assume the steroids played a large part in this and wondered if all beekeepers should have them at hand together with the antihistamines.

I follow simple rules in winter:-
No examination of frames November to February unless essential.
Vaping third week in December.

The only time I have broken it was when an Association hive blew over and frames became dislodged and we had to reassemble a mess. (Yes they survived - the Q was in there but we did not look)

Edit:
If I need to check for brood, I use an IR thermometer on CB. As the hive roofs are all insulated, the CB will be warmer than ambient and change temperature as you move across the CB with the thermometer.. hotter = brood, no change - no brood)

Why were you told not to get stung by a bee after being stung by a wasp? I thought that both stings were sort of opposites, one alkaline, the other acid? If you react to one, will you always react to the other?

I follow simple rules in winter:-
No examination of frames November to February unless essential.
Vaping third week in December.

The only time I have broken it was when an Association hive blew over and frames became dislodged and we had to reassemble a mess. (Yes they survived - the Q was in there but we did not look)

Edit:
If I need to check for brood, I use an IR thermometer on CB. As the hive roofs are all insulated, the CB will be warmer than ambient and change temperature as you move across the CB with the thermometer.. hotter = brood, no change - no brood)
What is the temp difference madasafish?
I know when temps get to 15c out side a colony can raise the brood nest temp upto 35c and start rearing brood.??

I'm afraid that cold weather (or lack of) has little effect on brooding really - this is just another 'fact' that we've been blindly following without really questioning. Regardless of weather LASI found that the best time to find colonies broodless is early to mid December (weather regardless) and once the solstice has passed bees will begin brooding in even the hardest of frosts.

Just want to quote this for emphasis as many Beeks treat between Christmas and New Year which is maybe too late and wont give the most effective treatment.

I was planning to treat next weekend, forecast is giving about 8 degrees, would prefer it warmer to have a loose cluster but it will suffice.

Reminds me of a sting on my chin whilst up a plumb tree collecting a swarm so like you couldn’t get it out immediately. Ended up in A & E as my throat swelled up and I was struggling to swallow, they gave me 8 of those little steroid tablets which worked wonders almost immediately. Now like you have an epi pen, a supply of the little miracle tablets and also the instruction to immediately if possible chew 2 antihistamines to get that quickly into your system.

The swarm were a feisty little number but very productive and are now living happily(or their offspring are) with an elderly gentleman on the Yorkshire moors who is well pleased that they seem to get on very well with the local climate there.

The lesson to be learnt is to watch your veil against your face!

It’s a pity that you have to have an ”episode” before being “allowed“ to have an epipen or other remedial medicines.
NHS is very tight with this sort of thing but so lax with cost control in other respects.

It’s a pity that you have to have an ”episode” before being “allowed“ to have an epipen or other remedial medicines.
NHS is very tight with this sort of thing but so lax with cost control in other respects.
:iagree: like building works for example.

What is the temp difference madasafish?
I know when temps get to 15c out side a colony can raise the brood nest temp upto 35c and start rearing brood.??

Basically I see temperatures on the CN over 20C as indicative of brood - at THIS time of the year..
But if ambient was -4C say and I saw 15C on the CB, then that suggests brood. (but not a lot)
In mid Spring , I would expect approx 30C on the CB

Epipens are never prescribed without good reason and specific instructions for use.... they are not to be messed with and should only be used on the individual prescribed for and then only after a sting has resulted in shock following and anaphalatic episode.

THE USE OF THE EPPIPEN IS TO GIVE THE PARAMEDICS TIME TO ARRIVE AND TAKE CARE OF THE CASUALTY ON TRANSFER TO HOSPITAL
This may have been a glyb throwaway comment, BUT FOLLOWING A COUPLE OF OCCASIONS WHEN I HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH SHOCK, FOLLOWING AN ANAPHALATIC EPISODE FOLLOWING STINGS* GET A BIT UPPERTY WHEN BEEKEEPERING FOLK BELIEVE EPPIPENS ARE A CURE ALL FOR A BEE STING!!

Rant over!

* and one occasion in Jordan when a diver was stung by a lion fish ( Pteris vollitans) nasty... helicopter evac to Eilat State Hospital!

I think beekeepers would do better not pulling apart a brood nest at this time of year and therefore avoid the need altogether ;)
Really need a long cold spell prior to dribbling in your hive, three weeks for brood to hatch, what was the weather like three weeks ago??? The last few days would have caused the bees to cluster up nicely but I still wouldn’t think of dribbling in three weeks time - global warming huh :cool:
Something to be said for the vape if you suspect a mite issue.
Well, you have obviously missed my posts a couple of weeks ago of one broodless colony that I treated successfully with a 676 drop. No brood found in either of the two I treated yesterday. Also, one of the hives chucked out a fair amount of varroa compromised emerging bees last week despite being treated with MAQS in September, so I wanted to catch them before they started another brood cycle and there were signs that they were thinking about it. Because of the warm weather they have been brooding later than the original winter bees, so I am concerned about the varroa situation and longevity of the winter bees this year. Vaping is no good either if you have brood and if you don't look you won't know!

Yep
I would have avoided the sting entirely
I will not vape as I value my own health too much for that and if you don't look and to ensure they are broodless both methods are useless. As I have said above I had reason to be concerned.

:iagree:

Thank you Jenkins, I was looking for the LASI quote.

Latest posts

Back