First post winter inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone. I have two colonies. One is showing good signs of activities (lots of to-ing and fro-ing) with pollen coming in. The other is very quiet and I susepct may have failed. My question is this - when is it reasonably safe now to go in and do an inspection? I'm thinking when the air temp is 8+ with no wind or rain? is that OK? I'm also thinking - inspect the suspect failed colony and leave the other alone for a few weeks more. opinions welcomed please.

Keith - you can try giving it a good thwack on the side, it should react with a healthy hum. If not, while there is little you can do if they have all died try a peek under the board when the temp is as you describe.

And as you say, leave the others alone for a few more weeks unless you think they need a feed

Given you are in Northumberland it could be April before you can do a full inspection. Apart from satisfying your curiosity there is not much you can do whatever you find in either colony at the moment. I doubt the busy one is so full they need say new foundation and if the other is dead then I'm afraid they are dead. Hefting you can and should do but if you are not sure how many stores they have then have a quick shufty along the top of the frames without moving any and try and see if there are any sealed stores. Starvation is the main threat at this time of year.

I thought it had to be 12 oC ideally before you can open the hives. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Kaz - I reckon you're right as 12 deg would just about equate to 'shirt sleeve' temperatures.

KG, There's no point in disturbing either colony. If they are dead, they are dead. They won't be any more alive when you eventually open them. If they are on the point of collapse, you will surely kill them. However, if there is a chance that they may pull through, the best thing you can do is to keep them fed and warm. A little warmth now and again at this time of year is no excuse to disturb them, as another hard frost could nip them back into a cluster.

I use a stethoscope on the side of the hive - all I need is a faint hum to realise that there is life in there. I wouldn't even wallop the woodwork to move them to action - if they are struggling, why stir them up and make them consume precious stores and energy?

Live in hope that your autumn prep was sufficient. It's winter - I wouldn't relish running around outside stark naked :eek: why expect your bees to do it :)

I'm thankful that I have seen all colonies flying in the last week or so. Regional variations in weather will undoubtedly have inhibited some colonies, so far. Leave 'em, I reckon.

Someone advised me to slip the mite tray back in for a few days and see if anything falls, such as cappings etc. Would it not be an idea to bung some fondant in if you haven't already, then it's a case of lifting up the CB sticking it on the frames and close up fast? Or is that not advisable? One thing I didn't realise was that when I went to the hive before they started flying, it was always silent, and I was alone. When I went with others and we began talking, they came to see what was happening. Idk if you go alone to the hives, or how much noise is made, but I do think banging on the hive isn't the best idea, as you don't really want to disturb them to that degree.
I do hope they are just having a lie in. Good luck :)

a bit of a tap on the side is all that's needed to get a gentle "zuzz" which shows they're alive still, no need to bang the hive

Moggs and rooftops are spot on, and kazmcc is there with the board under the frames (OMF or solid floor). Heft for weight and feed if necessary. Close up and leave until things can be sorted, if confirmed dead.

RAB

Back