First Mated Queen of 2012?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
First full inspection (on March 16th) of a swarm from August last year showed loads of bees, pollen, nector, capped brood, with some grubs and three eggs! No Queen (i checked twice), but two capped Queen cells, and three open Queen cells. The Bees were on 14 x 12 frames, approx 4 frames of brood plus stores

Following weekend both Queen cells were open and I removed all but one of the open QCs. I had drones in the hive, but with patchy weather was not optimistic for a possitive outcome and left the hive to get on with it.

Checked this afternoon to find plenty of eggs (bottom, centre of cells), capped worker brood and a nice looking Queen!

Shame I've now got a brood break when the OSR's in full flower just down the road. ;)

With good luck like that I would rush out and buy a lottery ticketnot worthy

That’s impressive mint bee it just goes to show how good the weather has been especially March.

I have a similar story but not as impressive.

Hive inspected on the 28th March not one of my hives but one I look after, no queen, no eggs, no larvae, only drone brood emerging, grumpy bees and one that looked recently open QC.

Test frame put in the hive and today surprised to see loads of eggs, larvae and some sealed worker brood..

Never spotted the queen, it’s a double brood and I have plenty of time to see her.

Back