First inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi - lovely warm day, so I decided to take a peek and do my first inspection since I installed the nucs.

Hive 1 - queen, brood, eggs all seen. There was capped honey in the top corners of three of the original nuc frames - they haven't started drawing out comb on any of the new frames.
Weirdly they don't seem that interested in the feeder on top of the crown board. No bees seen climbing in.

Hive 2 - Queen, brood and eggs seen. They've got stores as well and have started drawing out comb on a couple of the empty frames (see picture)

Hive 2 definitely feels the more productive of the two, and there is always more activity at the entrance.

I realised that the reason I didnt see pollen being carried in was because it's black/dark grey. I'm hoping that the pollen stores I saw were grey rather than mouldy. Has anyone else seen bees bringing in grey pollen?

Foundationless frame by exmonkey

EDIT - I should also say I left the rapid feeders on the crown boards - right decision?

Marc

Last edited:
All sounds fine. Grey pollen is fine, it varies depending on what plant it comes from. Keep an eye on the syrup levels in the feeders- if they're not taking syrup, take the feeders off in case it starts to ferment. If there's plenty of nectar around, they will probably prefer that.

If you've put 3-frame nucs into brood boxes, I would only add one or two extra frames at a time and confine them with an insulated follower board- don't overwhelm them with space.

I haven't seen any grey pollen currently but I would help your bees find the feeder by dribbling a little down the centre of the rapid feeder. They will follow the trail and be all over it in no time.

May account for the little or no drawn comb. Have the second hive found the feeder?

I would leave them on for two reasons - helps draw out the comb and if the 'June Gap' still occurs this year they will be grateful.

yes, the second hive found the feeder. Will go back tomorrow and dribble on them :)

Latest posts

Back