First honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjb1972

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 at the mo
Hi everyone this is my first year of bee keeping and I have just extracted my first honey I have filtered from extractor through a double filter from Simon the bee keeper into a container with a honey valve and have noticed a lot of muck on top of the honey question is do I need to filter again before filling jars or do I simply scoop of muck on top thanks in advance paul

If it's a white foam you can lay cling film over the top for a bit and then peel it away with foam captured.

Leave the honey to settle for a few days, open the lid and place a sheet of cling film directly on top of the honey, grab the centre with your fingers and lift swiftly, the cling film will catch all the floaters

I just jar carefully after letting the honey settle for a few days if you're careful enough the stuff on the top occupies the last jar only which you can eat yourself :)

Brilliant thank you all

I just jar carefully after letting the honey settle for a few days if you're careful enough the stuff on the top occupies the last jar only which you can eat yourself :)

put something under the far edge of the bucket before the level gets down to the honey gate (A wooden spoon is perfect) when you then get down to just below the top of the valve all the floaters end up in one jar.

put something under the far edge of the bucket before the level gets down to the honey gate (A wooden spoon is perfect) when you then get down to just below the top of the valve all the floaters end up in one jar.

Brilliant thanks jenkinsbyrnmair for all your help this year

Latest posts

Back