First Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm going to be buying my first hive/s pretty soon. I'm opting for a commercial. They are £214.50 on Thornes, sound about right? Any reccommendations would be great in PM

Tonybloke - I visited applebee orchard on Saturday but they were closed. Do you know when they usually open their store?

I'm going to be buying my first hive/s pretty soon. I'm opting for a commercial. They are £214.50 on Th**nes, sound about right? Any reccommendations would be great in PM

Tonybloke - I visited applebee orchard on Saturday but they were closed. Do you know when they usually open their store?

Where are you siting it, if in your garden, get WBC they look nice. :)

I'm not Tony but I use Applebee. Best thing to do is to phone or email and check ahead.
Cazza

Thanks Sillybee, I really liked the look of WBC but unfortunatly I think I would find them annoying to work.

Cheers Cazza I'll give them a call

I'm going to be buying my first hive/s pretty soon. I'm opting for a commercial. They are £214.50 on Th**nes, sound about right? Any reccommendations would be great in PM

Have you got a source of a 5 frame Commercial Nuc of Bees then near you as i sold all the commercials in inherited in the 1990s to convert to nationals and 14x12 because i could not source in London Bees 0n 16x10s and being a begiiner wanted a simple first transfer of Nuc to Hive

though the internet was not available then so you might have better luck now

Last edited:
I've never done it but it can't be too difficult to transfer national nuc to commercial brood?

sound about right?

Nope. Extra 20% for VAT to go on that figure. You do get it delivered 'free' at that price.

No, or few, sale items available either.

Never tried a short lug hive. 14 x 12 seems to be about the same size with financial advantages, but your choice. Will never (or extremely unlikely) to be a choice of poly in the future, either. But need only affect the brood box costs so not so bad, I guess.

Regards, RAB

Don't worry. Tonybloke is supplying me a nuc on commercial measurements.

John is cheaper than Th*rnes, Simon.
in the flat, give me a bell if you need a hand to assemble.
rgds, Tony

Cheers Tony. I'm usually quite good at building stuff but I'll let you know if I'm struggling. You never know, it might end up as a shed instead of a hive

Latest posts

Back