First bees are in!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdie Wife

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
My bee friend collected a small swarm yesterday in a box, which I shook into a new brood box that evening. All seems good when I looked from a short distance today, and my plan is to check out the feeder this evening and top up as required, without going into the brood box just yet for a nosey.

So when is a good time to do my first inspection? In a week? I'm itching to see what they're up to in there... but I reckon it's better for the bees that I sit only hands until then... [emoji4]

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If your small swarm is a cast then the queen needs time to mate but it would be useful to know if she is laying. If they went onto foundation you will need to give them a week or two. Are you feeding them?
Pick a warm dry sunny day in 7-10 days and have a quick look to check how quickly they are drawing comb and if there are eggs in the centre of the nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They recommend not to feed a swarm for 3 days so they burn up any honey they brought with them. You need to know how long it's been hanging around though.

Before they have sealed brood is a perfect time to hit any varroa.

I don't collect swarms anymore but the advice I was given " stick them in a hive with foundation and maybe 1 drawn, leave them a couple of days to settle in, feed them 4 or 8 pints and leave them alone. Have a look at the feeder and the ones with laying queens will empty the feeder. " It has been a good guide.

Once there is brood your interference will be less likely to ruin things. Beekeepers interfere that's what we do. :)

You'll soon know if/when you have a laying queen without going in and disturbing them.
They will be bringing in bundles of pollen.
If you do have a virgin then she should be left alone for at least 2/3 weeks.

You'll soon know if/when you have a laying queen without going in and disturbing them.
They will be bringing in bundles of pollen.
If you do have a virgin then she should be left alone for at least 2/3 weeks.

Pollen foraging is a suggestion the bees might have larvae to feed but by no means is it a guarantee..
To be original poster - you are starting with the right instincts - don't disturb your colony without good reason. Sitting on your hands can be hard but it's a much better practice than poking about unnecessarily and disruption of hive activities. There'll be time enough for hive inspections when established. :sunning:

Thank you all for your collective wisdom. I'll leave it a couple of weeks before going into the brood box, and in the meantime top up the feeder and monitor if any pollen is going in.

When do bees pick up varroa? Could it happen in between leaving a clean hive and arriving in another? I.e. during the swarming process.

I had a dream last night that I opened up the brood box and the whole mass of bees flew up in a tight bundle and bogged off... If nothing else, it will be a good motivation not to have a look!!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Quick update - well, it turns out I got a swarm with a mated queen. When I checked them at the weekend, 2 weeks after they arrived, they have capped and open brood in all but 2 frames, and lots of stores. I think I got there just in time! Adding a super tonight. And considering a split sometime soon... !

If there are only 2 frames clear of brood you will need to watch closely for swarm preps. Definitely time to super or if she is that prolific consider double brood perhaps? Unless of course you want to increase you number of colonies.

I think increasing to at least 2 colonies would be a good idea so I have more flexibility in my options. It's my birthday next week and I've asked hubby if he would build me a couple of nucs :)

Sounds good. I started from an overwintered nuc in late May last year and as a new beekeeper had them swarm twice a month apart. Read up on AS techniques and be ready to use, them don't mix and match methods, I wish you good fortunes.
Splitting reduces your yield but I got 12lb in my first year despite going from a nuc to 3 full colonies that year. I aim to stay at 2 or 3.

Latest posts

Back