Finding a site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixflyer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

I have wanted to keep bees for years but always thought I needed a huge garden to keep them away from the kids and neighbours.

I have seen it mentioned that people keep them in a farmers field or similar. I would like to know how to go about this and whether it is reasonably easy to find somewhere.

I am down in south Kent so there are lots of farms. Should I just go knocking on doors or is there a better way? I have visions of getting chased out of a farmyard by an angry farmer with a shotgun.

Have people done similar and how easy was it to find somewhere?

Regards

Welcome, finding a site on a farm isn't difficult. Especially if they grow crops. Keeping bees however is another story. Find a local beekeeper and go along with them to see what it is all about. Takes time and money!
Welcome to the forum though
E

as enrico says finding sites is easy i have only ever had a couple of refusals and normaly more offers than you can fill, but you need an idea of what you are about and a bit of research will go along way.......i would suggest contacting your local association and attend a meeting or 2 plus checking out begginers courses they may offer. Theres also a possibility they may have a site for members and there not such a bad place for begginers to spend a few months, In particular if you are short on space

Hi

I have wanted to keep bees for years but always thought I needed a huge garden to keep them away from the kids and neighbours.

I have seen it mentioned that people keep them in a farmers field or similar. I would like to know how to go about this and whether it is reasonably easy to find somewhere.

I am down in south Kent so there are lots of farms. Should I just go knocking on doors or is there a better way? I have visions of getting chased out of a farmyard by an angry farmer with a shotgun.

Hello and welcome.
I suggest you look for the ideal site in your area and then find out who owns the land.
Access to your hives is really important. If you can, site your bees close to somewhere you go every day. Honeybees have a maximum of 5km (3miles ) foraging radius, so before you site your hives, check to see if they will have enough pollen and nectar to eat, over as much of the year as possible. (and a water source).
This link may give a few more thoughts/ideas about siting . http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/apiarysiting.html

I set up an email address and put a £15 advert in the paper. I got about 20 offers.

I set up an email address and put a £15 advert in the paper. I got about 20 offers.

That's an interesting approach.
I just knock on door and ask.
Usually, farmers are really pleased to have you. I now have three main sites and another 4 or 5 seasonal pitches and could have more.

Thanks guys, I am going to join a local club and learn all about it first, I just wanted to know whether getting some hives will be achievable and it sounds like it will be.

Regards

I've got 12 sites 6 more offered that I'll take at some stage and only 1 has ever refused when asked.
Find the area you want , narrow it down on access, concealment and whatever else is important to you then ask.

I had a heck of a problem finding out Apiaries, I went to all the farms local to me and asked, one said no point blank, another said he uses pesticides and can't be arsed to let me know when he would be spraying so no, another said yes initially then called me to say that after speaking to the guy who they sub let some of the land to, he'd kicked off and I couldn't.
eventually I found a Farmer who loves bees and the idea of having them on his land, I have two Apiaries on his land at opposite ends of the farm (about two miles apart) the third was a site being given up by another beekeeper in our local group, he knew I was looking so gave me the number of the lady and that made three.

distance is a bit of a pain sometimes as its ten miles away but its a decent site.

try asking local FB groups or as above contact your local association as they may know of somewhere.

good luck, I hope you find somewhere

Latest posts

Back