Final Year Student Redesigning the Beehive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the brief stated redesigning the beehive to help combat CCD
Not trying to be contentious but the best way to avid CCD is not having your bee colony anywhere near the USA.

CCD doesn't seem to be happening in the UK (regardless of the shape of your hive) - well apart from a small corner of the Orkneys :D

Last edited:
Not trying to be contentious but the best way to avid CCD is not having your bee colony anywhere near the USA.

CCD doesn't seem to be happening in the UK (regardless of the shape of your hive) - well apart from a small corner of the Orkneys :D

You are a naughty boy!! :nono::nono:

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Just do a search for 'Sun hive'

Bear in mind that this was designed by a sculptor, somewhere around 2007 (maybe earlier) I think. It was only introduced to UK in the summer of 2012.

There are several other non-standard (not easily available commercially) hive designs on the Melissa Garden project http://www.themelissagarden.com/beekeeping.html I think it's reasonable to link because the site is quite regularly referenced from this forum for the list of bee friendly plants, even though it's a US-based site.

The Bralet hive is quite unusual because it's designed to be a round cross section, and there's an octagonal hive somewhere or other, but I can't remember its name.

Less unusual are the Warre and Rose hives - I think both are stocked by Th*rnes.

All the above hives seem to be considered more 'natural' than a rectangular or square section brood box containing four-sided frames that is topped by smaller boxes called supers, but I'm not entirely sure why. They're all boxes that are made by people.

Bear in mind that this was designed by a sculptor, somewhere around 2007 (maybe earlier) I think. It was only introduced to UK in the summer of 2012.

You took me a bit our of context there ... I was not promoting the Sun hive ,,,, more admonishing some of the less than helpful posts the poor girl was getting .. I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post...there are lots of innovative hives available and they are all worth consideration. Very helpful link as well.

Phil

Good luck with the project, Sarah. Hopefully you will post a link to your results here when you are done!

Back