field beans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our 4 colony’s on field beans are producing honey supers ,both honey bees and bumbles working the flowers , honey bees are collecting nectar from the back of the flowers.
Hopefully another few weeks as we have 2/3 capped supers so far.

Just been offered space for hives on fields of tundra beans, believe they are relation to Broad bean but for animal feed.
Hopefully should be good 25 hectares.

Very little OSR going on in my location due to falling price. (Which I’m kinda pleased about) no
More panic to get the supers off before they are set solid.

Just been offered space for hives on fields of tundra beans, believe they are relation to Broad bean but for animal feed.
Hopefully should be good 25 hectares.

Very little OSR going on in my location due to falling price. (Which I’m kinda pleased about) no
More panic to get the supers off before they are set solid.
Field bean honey stays liquid for a long time I’ve not heard of tundra beans is there any difference they will work the beans but if there is osr around they would rather forage that good luck

Field bean honey stays liquid for a long time I’ve not heard of tundra beans is there any difference they will work the beans but if there is osr around they would rather forage that good luck

I think Tundra might be the name of a variety of field bean. It's odd that we don't seem to eat them in this country. They do in the US and the Middle East as far as I'm aware.

James

I think Tundra might be the name of a variety of field bean. It's odd that we don't seem to eat them in this country. They do in the US and the Middle East as far as I'm aware.

James
Thanks for that james , interesting that do field beans go anywhere near the food chain? I thought they were used in cake for stock ?

Thanks for that james , interesting that do field beans go anywhere near the food chain? I thought they were used in cake for stock ?

I believe the UK exports a fair amount of its field bean crop to the US for human consumption. I was surprised when I found out, only recently. I thought they were all grown for animal feed.

James

I think field beans are marketed in the UK to vegetarians/vegans as 'fava beans'. There's a growing market and they're quite pricey too.

https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/wildlife-stories/british-fava-beans-history-and-recipes/

I have always been told that fava beans are broad beans, but since I found out that people eat field beans in the US I have been wondering if it might be the case that they're actually fava beans. That article seems to confirm it. Unlike their photo however, the field beans that I have are a brownish colour.

James

I have always been told that fava beans are broad beans,
The generic Welsh for bean is Ffa, but whenever anyone talks of Ffa, they mean broad beans.
A favourite Saturday lunch at my grandparents in the summer was broad beans and peas,fresh from the garden, with the liquid they were cooked in, knob of butter, white pepper and brown bread and butter

After several years absence, Im now surrounded by many fields of OSR this year; and my bees are packing in the pollen!
However I read above, with concern, that there are varieties which do not produce nectar for bees. I didnt know that.
Does anyone know which varieties these are ?
I will ask the farmers what they have planted. Nothing I can do about it but I would be interested to know.

I had a really good crop last year on field beans followed by clover. About the same crop from each. This year I have OSR (first for a few years) going on now and will move them up to the beans once the OSR is over.

The honey extracted at the end of June last year, which I thought was mainly field bean, tasted like golden syrup. Not a good result. ?
Sounds good to me…was partial to golden syrup as a kid!

After several years absence, Im now surrounded by many fields of OSR this year; and my bees are packing in the pollen!
However I read above, with concern, that there are varieties which do not produce nectar for bees. I didnt know that.
Does anyone know which varieties these are ?
I will ask the farmers what they have planted. Nothing I can do about it but I would be interested to know.
I was speaking to one of my farmers the other day and that she will be growing OSR next year in one particular field. The crop is for Bio Fuel and the variety for that has longer flowers which she says are too long for honey bees to access the nectar.

Latest posts

Back