field beans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
is it my emagination or are they in flower very early this year?

local farm has a couple of fields of it and its in flower now with the osr oops

So far everything seems to be Early. In Fife the rape has been in full flower for 2 weeks.

Up here in the Highlands,The cuckoo arrived 2 weeks early. Now the Puffins and Gannets have also arrived, never usually here until end of May. This is maybe due the warm winter and therefore the sea temperature is high for this time of year as we also seem to have an early supply of sand eels.

However today it is Snowing but it is Lambing time.

Last edited:
Field beans not yet in flower here and the OSR has only been out and the flow started about a week ago.

Local farmer reassures me the field beans won't be long behind as he has planted a load and asked me to move some colonies to them.

Field beans are sown near my apiary only every 4 or 5 years. I have never been certain whether they yield a useful crop of honey. What's other folks' experience?

I put four hives on beans for the first time last year I had 85 lb honey in three weeks so well chuffed and the farmer reckons he had a 2% increase in yield, sadly none this year though. My customers also really like it. The farm is fully organic so no spraying which helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back