Fermented wet stored frames.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
My freezer that I stored my wet frames of comb in doesn’t really work. It’s more of an airtight cupboard. Not even a fridge.

I stored the frames wet, well treated with Certan, so no wax moth, which is a great success!!

But, the wet frames have gone somewhat bubbly and fermented over the winter.

Is this a problem? I have shaken out what liquid I can and am hoping the bees will just enjoy the modicum of mead as they clean it out!

I don’t want to do damage to the health of my (so far survived!) colonies with a rack of boozy wet frames having made it through winter!

Some are a bit mouldy also. But I understand the bees clean this out pretty swiftly.

(not putting them on for a good few weeks though obviously)

Thoughts?

Thanks. I’ll do that. I’ll let them select the frames themselves and remove and render the ones they choose to ignore.

Thanks. I’ll do that. I’ll let them select the frames themselves and remove and render the ones they choose to ignore.

If bees ignore the combs, they tear wax down and draw new combs. Another question is, if you take ruined combs off and give new foundations. Less work in foundatins.

Always store my frames wet, the fermentation doesn't bother the bees, they just clean them and start storing again.
scrap the freezer - obviously overkill and probably the cause of your mould issues.
store them in the shallow boxes you will be using to put them on the hives, stack them, seal them top and bottom with a crown board size piece of plywood, cinch them all up with two hive straps placed crosswise. leave them outside but sheltered from the rain, the cold will take care of the wax moth.
Never had mould doing this and you're talking hundreds of frames.
No need to waste money on certan either.

Always store my frames wet, the fermentation doesn't bother the bees, they just clean them and start storing again.

scrap the freezer - obviously overkill and probably the cause of your mould issues.

store them in the shallow boxes you will be using to put them on the hives, stack them, seal them top and bottom with a crown board size piece of plywood, cinch them all up with two hive straps placed crosswise. leave them outside but sheltered from the rain, the cold will take care of the wax moth.

Never had mould doing this and you're talking hundreds of frames.

No need to waste money on certan either.

Good tips thanks!

I had a wax moth paranoia after delaying my honey extraction for a couple of weeks last year due to being too busy (too disorganised) and having some terrible wax moth damage! Ergh it was ghastly! ‘orrible buggers!

Good tips thanks!

I had a wax moth paranoia after delaying my honey extraction for a couple of weeks last year due to being too busy (too disorganised) and having some terrible wax moth damage! Ergh it was ghastly! ‘orrible buggers!

They are horrible little guys and cause a right mess if you let them I agree.

Stacked my supers in the unheated shed after last year having major moth issues. Certan worked 4 small frames only affected that I think I missed with certan. Hope to get into my bees for a first look tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back