Fermented Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a refractometer that measures moisture in honey; test frames randomly before extraction.

this maybe a separate post but will ask it here to begin with... but what make of refractometer would people recommend? i usually just extract capped combs and uncapped honey after the 'shake test' but should really get round to buying one. Any reliable recommendations welcome :)
thanks
Steve
There are plenty on eBay. Just make sure you get the correct type - one intended for honey (not wine) with a %water scale 12-27%.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164811434269?hash=item265f86e91d:g:~N0AAOSwwYldR~v1

Word of warning, not all of them are equal. As this is something which is fairly important in assessing the viability of your honey crop so get one with a significant number of good reviews or from a reputable supplier. I initially got one from amazon which wasn't for for purpose.

There is a thread for refractometer's on the forum and many have bought the cheap £9/£10 ones and they are equally as good if not exactly the same as ones up to £30 or more quid. My one the calibration matches that of my more expensive one bought some dozen or so years ago and also agrees with the moisture % readings I got back from Ceh/ Centre for ecology & hydrology.

Latest posts

Back