Fermentation - how long?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DorsetB

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
10 + assorted nucs
I wonder if anyone can assist with the following - not a problem yet but don't want it to become one, and don't yet have a refractometer.

If you extract honey which is uncapped and still very runny (ie undoubtedly with a high water content), how long do you need to keep an eye on it before being sure it won't ferment?

I have left the honey in covered buckets in my conservatory in order to try and get it to "dry out" naturally for the last few weeks, and seems ok so far.

Thanks for any replies.

Dunno. I guess it's a case of finding out for yourself.

If you feed it back for the bees to convert it to honey it is perhaps better done sooner than later. Not just from the fermentation point of view, but also from the robbing point of view.

And refectometers are cheap and easy to use ... even I can use one. The ones from China on the internet selling sites are fine, but make sure you get the right type.

If you extract honey which is uncapped and still very runny (ie undoubtedly with a high water content), how long do you need to keep an eye on it before being sure it won't ferment?

Up to a year. Honey is slow to begin to ferment and the weather hasn't really been warm enough.

If you shake the uncapped frames and honey/nectar drips out then don't extract it.

Frisbee

Why risk taking it off if its still very runny?
Get a refractometer cheaper than all your honey fermenting.

It was a case of having to extract it as I did a shook swarm on all my hives to a larger frame size, so not a choice of why did you do it, more a case of having to do it, no choice.

I did take the step of segregating this honey so will not spoil the rest of my spring crop. I might just use it for mead or mixing with sugar syrup at feed time if it does take up to a year to manifest itself.

Back